Forum Discussion

tyrahat
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Cox Land Line: I can hear them fine, my voice is distorted / broken up to them

Have a Cox land line for my home office, has worked fine for 9+ years, until last week. I can hear the caller perfectly fine but they are hearing me every 3-4 word, very distorted, terrible connection. Cox reset my Cox Arris Box (I had as well), I've tried a new phone, checked all the connections, nothing seems amiss but still experiencing the same problem. I need this land line for work, I'm on calls all day and trying to use my cell is a nightmare. Any advice?

12 Replies

tyrahat
      New Contributor II

Yep, replaced the phone, checked the cords, all are fine

somersct
    New Contributor

Cox just replaced my phone modem with a new updated version. It seems to have fixed the problem. The service tech said the new modem will help but cable lines are overload. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Hmm?  That's a good one.  Your inbound voice signal is fine but outbound is bad.  Could a coaxial splitter start going bad in 1 direction only?  Perhaps as an early symptom of a faulty splitter?  I guess you could try swapping it.

tyrahat
      New Contributor II

Not sure what you're talking about - where do I find the splitter and how would I go about replacing it?

somersct
    New Contributor

I have the same problem you describe. I called Cox can't help till after the covid 19 virus is gone.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

911 will still work even if they can't understand your garbled cries for help. 

Ken1956
    New Contributor

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  We are having the same problem it started over a month ago.  They have given me new modem and replaced the main cable that leads to the box at the street and checked my lines.  They now say they need access to my home that the problem is within the home and they cant enter until the situation with the virus improves which I understand.  But, I know at least 5 other people with the same problem not all in our neighborhood.  This leads me to believe this is a bigger problem with their service.  I assume at some level they must know this but not sure why they are not escalating the problem or letting us know. 

DannyS
      The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.
        Ken1956
        New Contributor

I did like you asked and the techs came out again on Friday and validated there is a issue with the quality of the cable.  I am still waiting for update as to when it is going to be fixed.  I think people are going on this forum and the Nextdoor app because they are frustrated the problem is not getting fixed.  It is really hard to be quarantined to home and not have a reliable phone service.  I have to use Skype to have a call with anyone or leave the house and go to a location where I can get good cell service.

ktaylorg
    New Contributor

I am having the same problem. They came last year and replaced line and did a bunch of troubleshooting. No luck. I have bought 2 different phones. And, even weirder, IF I the connection is working successfully and I can hear the other caller the entire time.....the internet will drop after I've been on the phone over 25 minutes or so. Like not just my phone service dropping but the internet on my laptop and I have to wait on everything to reboot. Why haven't I called Cox again? Because I work from home, I'm busy and I don't have the time for the runaround I know I will get. So I use my cell or I answer the phone, forgetting about the problem, and then get so embarassed when I am told yet AGAIN that they can hardly hear me or I eventually can't hear them talking to me. 

DannyS
      Hello, if you are still having concerns regarding your service? Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us your name and the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. -Dan