Forum Discussion

WomanoftheTides
New Contributor II
5 years ago

They can hear me but I can no longer hear them Part 2

My original post has been closed.  Problem still exists 4 months later.  I've been escalated and escalated with still no resolution.  Yesterday I got an email from the Field Supervisor that I am just going to copy and paste below because it's telling me they might have found the problem and that fixing the problem might be at my expense!!!

Good morning Nanette,
I spoke to our performance engineer and looked through the node (neighborhood service area) and the interference we spoke about in the past looks non-existent.  That being said I also spoke to him about monitoring your ingoing/outgoing phone calls.  We used to have a system in place to submit a ticket for your particular account and monitor, unfortunately that ticketing system is no longer in existence.  The performance engineer did however fill me in on the modem you have currently on your account.  I was told this particular device (labeled PW3 or TG1682) has a known firmware issue which causes garbled voice, dropped calls and phone conversations in which one party cannot be heard.  I also called one of our lead technicians to verify the issue in the field.  I am being told we are swapping these units out for a different model (PW6 or CGM4141), but the issue is in some cases this modem swap may increase the monthly subscription.  I am going to contact our local communications center to see if this is the case for your account and will update you when I hear back.  If we do not see an increase we will have to get into your home, perform the swap and then monitor from that point.  Thank you.

5 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Nanette, I have edited your post to remove personal information. Can you please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com? Once the account has been properly verified, we can look into having your modem upgraded to a newer model (if you have an older model). -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    ktaylorg
    New Contributor

I have been reading ALL of Nanette's issues and mine are identical. I too have the modem above (TG1682). I will save this for when I call to either get a new modem or cancel altogether. I know you had such a runaround with this and I knew I would too which is the main reason I haven't called. Up until the state lockdown, I've been too busy to focus on this. Now obviously I can. I appreciate you posting all of your issues because they have been very helpful. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Your costs won't increase in all cases.  I think somebody at Cox confused something because the Technicolor CGM4141 does not have Cox Voice.  Your current combo device (DOCSIS, WiFi, eMTA) supports voice.

Are you renting the TG1682?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

From what I understand...
    - Cox is renting Nanette and you the ARRIS Surfboard TG1682 for your Ultimate data plans (300 Mbps / 30 Mbps) and Cox Voice
    - However, Cox confirmed the firmware of ARRIS Surfboard TG1682 no longer supports Cox Voice
    - Therefore, Cox will replace the ARRIS Surfboard TG1682 with a comparable unit

As Nanette noted, Cox will replace your defective units, however, at a higher rental fee.  Why?

- Cox will replace your defective unit with the Technicolor CGM4141
    - However, it seems to be overkill for the Ultimate plan because it supports up to gigabit service
    - In addition, according to the list of Cox Certified Cable Modems, this gigabit unit doesn't support Cox Voice

I may be mistaken about the Technicolor not supporting Cox Voice, but I'm only referencing the Cox website.  If it does, it does and my mistake.

A comparable unit would be the ARRIS Surfboard TG2472:  DOCSIS 3.0, 24 × 8, Cox Voice, Ultimate (300 Mbps / 30 Mbps), WiFi.  However, this unit may also have the firmware issue or is not available in your markets.

The question about a higher rental fee is uncertain because the Field Supervisor needs to verify any increase with the local communications center.

I think if you're not on the Gigablast plan, you shouldn't pay for the bells and whistles of a Gigablast unit.  Cox will have to absorb the costs...unless they persuade you to upgrade you service.  That'd be up to you.