Forum Discussion

soccertl
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox home phone, are they premium numbers?

Our company uses a tool called PagerDuty. When I signed up and tried to add my home phone number, I got an error that said:

Phone number Premium-rate numbers are not supported. The help text has the following:

1.        Premium-rate telephone number

Premium-rate telephone numbers are telephone numbers for telephone calls during which certain services are provided, and for which prices higher than normal are charged. Unlike a normal call, part of the call charge is paid to the service provider, thus enabling businesses to be funded via the calls. While the billing is different, calls are usually routed the same way they are for a toll-free telephone number, being anywhere despite the area code used. These telephone numbers are usually allocated from a national telephone numbering plan in such a way that they are easily distinguished from other numbers. Telephone companies typically offer blocking services to allow telephone customers to prevent access to these number ranges from their telephones. In some jurisdictions, telephone companies are required by law to offer such blocking. Adult chat lines and tech support are a very common use of premium-rate numbers. Other services include directory enquiries, weather forecasts, competitions and voting. Diplomatic services, such as the US embassy in London or the UK Embassy in Washington, have also charged premium rates for calls from the general public.

Are Cox home phone numbers premium? That makes no sense to me. I already have a ticket open for the tool to see if there is an error on their side, but was told to contact my phone provider to make sure.

Thanks for the help.

1 Reply

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Unless NANPA has either not assigned or reserved your area code, it should work.

Perhaps your Area Code and Exchange number was recently assigned.  What are your Area Code and Exchange numbers?  The first 6 digits...not your entire phone number.