Forum Discussion

WomanoftheTides
New Contributor II
5 years ago

They can hear me but I can't hear them!

I see that there is a locked unresolved  discussion entitled "I can hear them but they can't hear me"

My problem has been randomly  happening for over a month now.  I called COX and they could find nothing wrong, a technician came and he couldn't find anything wrong either but decided to swap out the modem. It is still happening.   I work from home and am on the phone for a living, this is pretty important. I use a wired headset.  It still happens when I use the handset.  Doesn't that rule out the phone itself being an issue and the same for the headset?  If a problem with the modem has been ruled out, what else could it be?

I should add that the phone is connected directly to the modem.

20 Replies

WomanoftheTides
    New Contributor II

I'm back (sadly) to say my problem is back.  It did disappear for maybe a week but it is back with even more frequency in a given day than before the 1st (of 3) technicians arrived.  The last technician did give me his cell phone number and I have been in contact with him about t his but there is apparently no obvious solution.  He has promised to come by tomorrow to replace the tap, per my request and is getting the "field supervisor" involved who handles the line on the street, whatever that means. Tech # 3 can only deal with what goes from pole to me....that's the best understanding I have. 

Allan

@Nanette, I am glad to see that you are currently working with our techs to resolve this issue. Please let us know if this issue continues after they have completed their work. Thanks. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.

WomanoftheTides
        New Contributor II

So the guy (tech #4) came at the end of the day yesterday (Friday) and replaced my tap, per my request, even though it appeared to be fine according to tech # 3.  This 4th guy also replaced some pads in the amplifier down the street.  Said they were corroded and, in fact, had a recall on them.  They did  not investigate the node as discussed before hand.  This same guy also noted that the line to my house was over 10 years old, so the Field Supervisor is sending out tech # 3 to replace that today.  I'm barely on the phone on a weekend so I won't be able to know until the work week whether or not things are finally fixed.  Will report back.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Nanette, I am detecting some issues with your modem, and I believe that sending out a service technician is the best course of action to resolve the phone issues. For additional support, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      WomanoftheTides
      New Contributor II

To be clear, the modem you are detecting a problem with is the one that was replaced 7 days ago by a technician who came to resolve my phone issues experienced on the old modem?  And, you want me to get more help via the internet?  Not a phone call?

Becky
        Hi Nanette, since you're experiencing a phone issue, Kevin invited you to email us (cox.help@cox.com) so we can schedule a service call at a convenient time. If you prefer to speak to an agent over the phone, call 877-206-4210 for 24/7 Technical Support. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    aiko
    New Contributor

What did the problem end up being? I am having the same issue.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Aiko, do you have a phone plugged in directly to the back of the modem, or is the phone plugged into wall jack? Are all phones affected, or only one phone? When was the problem first noticed? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        aiko
        New Contributor

Thank you for the response. Phone is plugged into the back of the modem. I have tried using a different phone and still have the problem. I noticed about a month ago but thought it was the other party as they were on a cell phone and I figured the call just dropped.. I called customer service and they reset the modem twice and then cut me off before setting an appointment for a tech to come out. It only occurs on outgoing calls. Incoming seem to be fine.

WomanoftheTides
      New Contributor II

Sorry for the late response.  I'm back here only because my problem is back.  What seemed to have been the fix was that there was some cable from the basement to where I work was insufficient for the distance it had to go.  I forget where it connected ultimately in my office...the modem?  I didn't have a problem for over a week but then it started up again.