Forum Discussion

BHSARDOC
New Contributor
5 years ago

Porting Home Phone

I made arrangements to have my home phone number ported over when I authorized my agreement to switch to cox cable.  I was guaranteed that my number would be ported only to find out that they never made the official request with the other service provider to do so, so they took the lazy approach and just issued a new number.

This has cost my family hundreds if not thousands of dollars in lost revenue due to clients not having my point of contact information.  I've been repeatedly promised that they would make it right...and they've repeatedly failed to do so.  They say now that the number can't be ported and when I tried to make arrangements to cancel my service they tell me that I have a service agreement that will result in an early termination fee, which said termination is only as a result of Cox Communications failure to live up to their promise as agreed.

Having the home number ported was the only condition that I requested. I've spoken to numerous representatives with no success.  

Cox Communications are full of Pirates who will say anything but not actually do anything other than cash your payments.

1 Reply

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, we deeply apologize for the unfavorable experience you're having with our company, and we are especially sorry to learn that this is affecting your business. In regards to porting phone numbers from other telephone providers, there are specific rules in place that all telephone providers must adhere to.

1.) The ported number must be in the same rate center that you reside in. In other words, if you are moving from one location to another, the phone number must be within the same rate center in order to be ported over. If the phone number crosses rate centers, the port cannot take place
    2.) The customer's name must match exactly what is on their account with the other provider.
    3.) Customers must keep the telephone number active with the other service provider, in order for the port to be successful. The telephone service is then canceled through the other provider once the port completes.

If you have any further questions or concerns about phone porting, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com, Twitter or Facebook. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator