Forum Discussion

JP_Sports
Contributor
5 years ago

Nomorobo and Neighborhood Spam- Totally Ineffective

Is Cox and Nomorobo ever going to add the feature that blocks neighborhood spam?  I have received more calls lately with the same first 6 digits as mine, and it’s as if Nomorobo isn’t even activated (which it is) because it blocks maybe 1 in 4 calls.  The feature is available in the mobile app version (and through YouMail for my mobile phone), but the landline version blocks them about as well as a dam made out of crepe paper.

13 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, are you certain the feature is active on your account? One way to check is to log into your account on nomorobo.com. A robocall is a call made from a number that is reported as illegal and blocked by Nomorobo, and the system disconnects robocallers and telemarketer calls. Another way to report unwanted calls is through www.donotcall.gov. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      A robocall is a call made from a number that is reported as illegal

Lots to unpack there.

Robocalls are not illegal.  If they were, dentists would be in prison.

Spoofing is not illegal.  If it was, law enforcement agencies working cases, victims of domestic abuse and doctors discussing private medical matters would be in prison.

How does a number become "illegal?"

Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, the FCC prohibits "...any misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm or wrongly obtain anything of value."

If no harm is intended or caused, spoofing is not illegal.  However, if you don't answer the call or just block the number, you can't prove intended harm.

Spoofing from your local exchange(s) (Area Code & LATA) is the latest ploy to get you to answer the phone.  Nomo won't block these numbers because the scammers use your local numbers once and move on to another local number.  Blocking these "disposable" numbers would be blocking ghosts...not to mention legitimate subscribers.

Your only defense would be a call-blocking device featuring wildcards.  For example, block everything from (123) 456-****.  If your neighbor shares your exchange, you could permit their number on the device.

socal_transplan
        Contributor III

REALLY?! robo calls are NOT illegal?  what state do you live in?  i am in CA & i think they ARE! spoofing...if not illegal...should be. i don't cotton up to anyone spoofing mine! most spoofed calls Are intending harm, otherwise why would they not SAY WHO THEY ARE?  and i have NEVER got a robo call from a dentist!

if metro pcs can tell us we have a "scam likely" call....why can't you!?

socal_transplan
      Contributor III

i have done as you said.  i apparently am in a nomorobo area but my account cannot set up correctly.  outreach to nomorobo has not netted me a response.(in 1 month).  and i have yet to find a cox tech that can guide me. 

is this false advertising?  making me think i'm getting something for "free?" fyi, i'm not that naive. 

of course if there is a fix...from the COMMUNITY out there i'd love to hear it!

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Social Transplant, I'd be delighted to assist in setting up the nomorobo service. For additional support, please feel free to send us an email at cox.help@cox.com, and include a link to this forum thread. I can also be reached on Twitter and Facebook as well. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • I AM AT WITS END.  OUT OF 10 SPAM CALLS, 9 HAVE NOT BEEN BLOCKED BY NOMOROBO.  My service is active, but it is totally USELESS at this point.  Every call is either with the same area code and exchange, or an 860-400 number with CallerIDxx in the name line.  I am ready to contact law enforcement.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

How many times have the same-area-code-and-exchange numbers called you?  If a lot of subscribers don't report it as a nuisance, Nomo won't add it.  Nomo is only designed for chronic nuisance numbers...think Rachel from Card Services.  We're beyond that approach nowadays.

(860) 400 is Ledyard, CT.  I've been calls from unexpected states lately as well, such as Nevada, Pennsylvania, North Dakota...Wisconsin?

JP_Sports
        Contributor

I have received 7 calls in the last 10 days from the same area code and exchange as mine that are spam calls.  Did not get a single one for a few months but here they are again.  As for the 860-400 calls, I have received 13 different numbers in the last 2 months all with different numbers in the CallerIDxxx line where x is a number.  A couple of the 400 numbers were successfully blocked, but none of the neighborhood ones were.