Forum Discussion

jdsipe
New Contributor
6 years ago

Phone Number Porting

Have had AT&T for many years but recently moved and new home isn't serviced by AT&T.  Decided to move to Cox phone as already have TV and internet.  Want to port over existing AT&T number (still tied to old address as haven't moved yet) but was told at the Cox store this couldn't be done as AT&T doesn't serve my new home.  This doesn't make sense as if AT&T served my new home i wouldn't have been looking to move.

Need to know how i can port my old landline number to my new Cox phone service.

1 Reply

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, based on what you're describing, it could be possible the representative at the store was referring to the different rate center. The government has set-up "rate centers" or geographical areas for phone numbers. If the rate center for the previous address does not match the rate center for the new address, then the active AT&T telephone number cannot be ported over. We can look into this further and see what can be done to assist. If you're interested, please send this over to cox.help@cox.com, and we'll be delighted to assist further. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator