Forum Discussion

dsoto
New Contributor
12 years ago

Issues with both enhanced and classic webmail.

I sent this question to cox support but maybe someone here has any ideas:

I use IE 9 64 bit with Windows 7. I have the latest Java installed (7) and the latest Adobe Flash Player (11). When I launch classic webmail I get a Java error. When I launch Enhanced webmail I cannot see my email headings. It shows 88 new emails but the right window shows empty.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

Are you able to try logging from a different PC?  If so do you get the same errors?

Jgirl
    New Contributor

Same issue.  Called into Cox three weeks ago.  Been on 5 live chats today.  No one seems to know how to help.  Two years ago, Cox had the same issue with Classic and the "solution" was for customers to use Enhanced.  Since Enhanced no longer works 90% of the time, what can we do?  Have latest Java 7, update 9.  Classic won't allow me to copy from a document or webpage and paste into the Java applet.  Gives me a little triangle error.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=0d393c20-e81b-11df-f802-000000000000

CR
    New Contributor

I understand your frustration Jgirl and dsoto.  I haven't had any problems with Classic Webmail yet, but Enhanced Webmail has become useless in the last couple of months.  Headers either take several minutes to ever load, or most of the time do not show up altogether and you get this annoying error message with an exclamation point at the top saying there is "an error loading the headers."   It's become so frustrating at this point that I don't know what to do now.   I have several friends and co-workers having the same issues now when we all didn't before.  

And today, the direct URL to Cox webmail (http://webmail.central.cox.net) doesn't work anymore.  I had to go to cox.net, then sign-in there, and go to webmail from there.  It shows a different URL now (http://webmail.east.cox.net)  Don't remember getting an email from Cox about that being changed.  Before I figured out the work around, I had to send an email from my old AOL account today.  How embarrassing for Cox.  

I've got 4 computers and the same thing happens on all of them.  I''ve got them with Window's 7, 64 bit, Vista with 32 bit, Windows 7 32 bit, all the latest Java, DirectX, Adobe Flash, etc. as well.  No offense to ChrisR, but all this "did you try it from another computer" and blaming versions of Java or other browser plugins for the Cox Enhanced Webmail Problems are all just stalling tactics because in reality...they don't know what's wrong!    I wish they would just admit it to us.  They haven't even been able to fix the backspace problem in Google Chrome for 4 months now, so don't expect miracles on this.  They actually have the audacity to have that issue listed as "solved" and it isn't!  (Well, it at least wasn't the last time I was actually able to log into the Enhanced Email.)      

It's a shame that all seem to get with this support forum is "did you try it from another computer" or "what version of "X" or "Y" are you using."  The implication is that it's the customer's fault they are having problems with the webmail when all of us know it's not a problem on our end. How about, "We apologize for the trouble you are having with our obviously flawed Enhanced Webmail from Cox.  There is nothing wrong with your computer.  We are working diligently on all the problems and will provide updates on when these issues might be corrected in the near future.  Thank you for using Cox Communications."  

dsoto
    New Contributor

I tried different computers, resetting IE to default settings and reloading Java, Active X, downloaded Chrome, then IE again then Chrome again, and a whole bunch of other things. Eventually I got classic email working with Chrome but I still get the Java error when I try to sort. The enhanced email does not work at all. The support guy replied with a completely different solution to what I asked. It is like they didn't even read my email. It is so frustrating I will not pursue this issue anymore. I am going to set my Google mail to read Cox email because it seems Cox hasn't figured out how to develop a good mail interface.