Forum Discussion

PeggyO
New Contributor
10 years ago

No More Customer Loyalty Promotions

I've been a Cox customer for 15 years. Over all, I've been happy with my Cox services. This year, I feel differently. Every year I get huge spike in my bill because my Cox Loyal Customer promotion has run out and no, I don't get a notice, letter or email telling me my promotion is about to expire. I suggested last year they send me an email but there was none; I read them all. All I got was a letter days after my new higher bill arrived. So this year when my promotion ran out, I got this letter inviting me to switch to a 3 service bundle plan which included phone. I haven't used a paper weight land line in years. I have no need for a land line so it's a waste of money. I call customer support like I always do and to my shock, there are no more customer loyalty promotions so my internet and tv bill goes from $167 to $246 in a month. After being reminded that I am an unusual customer, others pay a lot more than I do, I was getting a great deal in the past, the only reason I'm seeing an increase is because I now have to pay the full retail. No more loyal customer promotions. The only promotion the customer service person could offer me was Showtime at half-price for one year unless I signed on to the phone service. I told the customer service person that I can't afford a bill increase of basically $90 a month which I was again reminded that it's not a rate increase, it's the retail price that I was never paying. The only way I was able to get my bill down was to lower my internet package since I really do enjoy the expanded channel packages and I only get one premium, HBO. Lowering my internet to Preferred brought my bill down to $186 before the $5 for Showtime($191.00) which I will be cancelling. I don't have the extra income to absorb the 'retail' cost. An increase of $90 for the package I had may not seem like much to some but I have to find other places to cut. Of course, rates are going to go up; surely another increase next Feb. I now realize it's only a matter of time before I have to drop HBO, lower my internet another tier, and eventually even my expanded channel packages until I'm down to basic cable and email web browsing speeds. Bottom line, I really feel dismissed as a long time Cox customer. While I am not unhappy with the customer service person who was very polite about explaining how I was now only going to pay full retail, I was constantly reminded that I would pay more by switching to another provider even if I was given promotional offers to begin with. I've had this nagging feeling ever since my call to Cox customer service I AM being screwed by Cox. Frankly, I don't feel any loyalty to stay with Cox since Cox doesn't see advantage to keeping me as a customer any longer. I know more people who have dropped Cox and I never understood why? I do now. Even if I end up paying more with a different provider after the promotion runs out, sometimes it's the principle that's important.