Forum Discussion

Frustrated_Sing
New Contributor II
11 months ago
Solved

Anyone have ACP dept phone # --Representatives should be educated better about ACP and not be condescending

Extremely frustrated and saddened at the treatment and lack of knowledge by some Cox employees. I called requesting to speak to the ACP dept. I have spoken to them in the past and the gentleman told me there were two specific people assigned to these accounts. I do not know why the agents act like they have no idea what I am talking about, its a secret & refuse to provide the number or transfer.

When I then ask for "customer service" I find out later that they say "Oh well I am tech support, not customer service but.... " wait what? So not only you cant help me but you lied.

I was transferred 4 times- all agents tried to tell me I was not going to get a better deal. **I want to downgrade my service. I can not afford it.** it is not about a better deal.  Not sure what they do not understand.  It is the whole reason I have the ACP. I only temporarily upgraded while the kids were all home for the holidays.

Eventually, I get t to "loyalty & retention" because Im told if I can not afford the bill any longer at the 1G price maybe I should cancel & provide me the local stores address to return the equipment. Great way to treat a customer of over 10 years.

Finally, I gave up and I did the downgrade myself online (more than half the speed) and now my bill is TRIPLE what it was. Seems dishonest and shady. Why cant I speak to the dept that handles ACP accts? They were so helpful. I should not be treated poorly or talked down to because I have a coupon. Can anyone please help?

Darkatt
    11 months ago

Cox doesn't deny the benefit. IF the government PAYS money to COX on your behalf, Cox CREDITS that amount. If the Government DOESN'T provide Cox money on your behalf for your account, COX isn't going to discount your bill that amount. This isn't Cox's benefit to you, it's the Government's. Once you understand who pays what and how you get the discount, you MAY be able to  figure out where the disconnect is, and get it fixed. 

Again. it's NOT Cox that provides the benefit, it's the Government. If Cox receives money FOR YOUR ACCOUNT, they will credit your account the funds they receive. If they DON'T get money from the government for YOUR account, you get squat.

40 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

I couldn't figure out how to get my ACP benefit either so I have given up ðŸ¤”

If you are having difficulty enrolling in ACP with Cox or have questions or concerns about the ACPm discounts reflected on your bill, you can receive online support with Oliver 24/7 or call Cox Residential Customer Care at 800-234-3993.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Cox isn't going to have an ACP department, because it's a Government program.   "The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a U.S. government program that helps many low income households". 

https://www.fcc.gov/acp

Here are the steps for Cox 

https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/affordable-connectivity-program.html

The Government has to let Cox know that you are accepted. BTW, you only receive the credit, when Cox receives the money from the government. IF the government stops, cancels, fails for any reason to send a check/deposit to YOUR account, then you don't receive the credit on your bill!

There ISN'T a department that handles ACP accounts, which BTW is ONLY a 30$ a month from the government check to your account. Again, if Cox doesn't receive it from the Government, then you don't get that amount reduced from your check. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      Cox isn't going to have an ACP department, because it's a Government program. 

I hear Cox is one of the few ISP that use a separate internal department/system for ACP verification. check it out here. I also found this news article about it. Seems the FCC is asking Cox to clarify their system by this month.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

I followed the directions, and was approved and active in ACP in less than 2 weeks. I am retired, with only a small pension and SS, as taxable monthly income. 

Frustrated_Sing
      New Contributor II

Thank you. I guess I was lied to then. The rep I spoke to before the holidays stated two people were designated to handle ACP accounts. I’ve already been approved for over 6 mos and receiving the $30 making 1G $74 including modem. I was trying to downgrade to the 150 for $30 so it’d be free again. But I downgraded myself and now my bill is almost $200 a month (for just internet). 

karsmo
        New Contributor

You're already getting the discount, should not be a problem to change back. But, 

Cox has nobody to help link your ACP benefit with your Cox account except their idme link.  This is what I was told when I contacted Cox because I was approved for ACP at the federal site https://www.getinternet.gov/apply.

I had to reapply thru Cox's idme link, which is how Cox  is doing it to avoid paying for customer reps.  There was no one to link my existing Cox account with my federal approval #, which should have been a simple thing.  I hope you have better luck.

DRVEGAS
      Valued Contributor

I'm curious if you are getting your email notifications from this forum because I'm not getting them anymore myself?  How do I subscribe to this internet forum because I don't see any options to subscribe to it?

• Cox is a crooked company. They denied my ACP benefit after id.me approved it. I would suggest filing a complaint with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). I filed a complaint yesterday. I will more than likely still be switching to Verizon for internet service because Cox **!

Here's a link to the FCC page which has a complaint link also.

consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/.../4412582232980-Need-Help-with-an-Affordable-Connectivity-Program-ACP-complaint-

LisaH
      Hi. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. I can understand how frustrated you are about what has transpired with ACP, however, Cox doesn't approve or deny the ACP benefit. The FCC approves the ACP benefit and ID.me links your benefit to the company you are using for internet service, even to your cellphone provider. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Cox doesn't deny the benefit. IF the government PAYS money to COX on your behalf, Cox CREDITS that amount. If the Government DOESN'T provide Cox money on your behalf for your account, COX isn't going to discount your bill that amount. This isn't Cox's benefit to you, it's the Government's. Once you understand who pays what and how you get the discount, you MAY be able to  figure out where the disconnect is, and get it fixed. 

Again. it's NOT Cox that provides the benefit, it's the Government. If Cox receives money FOR YOUR ACCOUNT, they will credit your account the funds they receive. If they DON'T get money from the government for YOUR account, you get squat.

ctfair
    New Contributor

From my experience, the best way to deal with account issues, including billing, is to go directly to the local office and deal with them face to face. The only time you should deal with them over the phone is for technical issues because they have no technical support in the local office.