Forum Discussion

LooBear
New Contributor II
11 months ago

Regular connection drops

So, this looks like a pretty common issue with Cox internet.  My connection drops for 10 seconds to a minute or two multiple times most hours...double digits daily.  I just spoke with Gerard, who claimed to be a supervisor in Cox tech support who after a few minutes of troubleshooting recommended I call the manufacturer for the Cox modem/router.  ...Seriously?  I call Cox tech support for an issue the forums are flooded with and I'm told I have to call an entirely different company before they'll send a tech out.  I called him out on it and asked why that was necessary if I was talking with a supervisor with Cox internet and his response was to pretend the call dropped.  "Hello?  Hello? Click"--at the very most opportune moment and did not return the call.   This can't possibly be Cox protocol.  How do I get this resolved without wasting another half day with tech?

21 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First, what model modem/router/gateway do you have? I think Cox only supports their Panoramic gateway that they rent so if they suspect a hardware issue, they pass the buck to the manufacture. I think they will support retail modems if you sign up for Cox Complete Care however we(the forum) might be able to help isolate the issue. Start by posting your modem's signal levels. Also look at your event logs at the time of the disconnects. I bet it is a T3 time out issue from noise, usually cellular ingress, on the upstream. I can give instructions once I know what equipment you have.

LooBear
      New Contributor II

It is, in fact, a Cox provided panorama / technicolor cgm4331 modem and I established this on the phone with tech.  They were fully aware of that and even said to contact the manufacturer of the Cox modem.  .  

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

That is weird. Did they say what the problem was that the manufacture can help with? Did you want to troubleshoot here?

If so, start by posting your signal levels. You can find them at 192.168.0.1 > user:admin password:password(unless changed) > Connection > Cox Network. Either upload a screenshot to Imgur and post the link here or upload a screenshot directly. See instructions here for directly uploading a image. Basically you have to join the Internet forum using the link on Internet forum home page and then you get the option to insert a file.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Sorry I didn't respond last night. I feel asleep before I could. I would delete the first screenshot as it shows your public IP and MAC address. I only wanted the signal levels(upstream/downstream, uncorrectables, SNR and such.) but should have specified that.

+1 for testing a wired connection when the wireless go out. Also, do you have phone service with Cox? If so, do you lose dial tone when the internet goes down? If so, it is NOT a wireless problem.

LooBear
        New Contributor II

I thought I responded to this.  I don't have phone service with Cox.  

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

LooBear, after looking at everything in the thread, have you tried loading WiFi Analyzer, WiFiman, or simular on your phone and done a basic walkthrough to monitor signal level by room? You typically have to do it once for 5ghz and once for 2.4ghz. It may also help to run Speedtest from a couple of locations to verify how speed relates to signal strength. I've attached a sample from my home for illustration.