Forum Discussion

Inconspicuousus
New Contributor
11 months ago

Internet service uptime

The reliability of COX WiFi is NOT worth the monthly pricetag associated with it. I've had internet service interruptions as long as 2 hours, and on a very consistent basis, I loose connectivity for short periods of time. I set up a script to run on my computer that would just ping one of Google's servers every 8 seconds, log when the pings started failing, and log when they started succeeding again. This gave me a good idea of how frequently and how long I would loose service, even when it wasn't immediately interfering with whatever I was doing (which it has, so frequently that I decided to write the script in the first place) and my findings showed that throughout the week, there were on average 34 service interruptions, most of them about 16-48 seconds long, but some as long as 10 minutes.

Very frequently, I will be playing multi-player games, and just randomly get disconnected. I'll be watching a video or listening to music while I study, and I loose connection. I reiterate, THIS SERVICE IS NOT WORTH THE PRICETAG! And I would strongly advise anyone considering this ISP to just move along to your next option. 

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      Tim_M1
      New Contributor

I have troubleshot with Cox in the past and I stumbled across this while looking for similar issues. My whole neighborhood has this issue

Tim_M1
    New Contributor

I am having the same issue, my wife and I work from home and we had to get 5g internet as a backup

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Are you connected via ethernet, or WiFi. If you are going to be gaming, avoid WiFi. Too many things can cause momentary interruptions with WiFi that has nothing to do with your cable internet signal, or Cox's responsibility. Do you use a modem/router, or separate units? What make/model equipment are you using. 

If you would like help in resolving the issue, We are here to assist, Between WMO and myself you have over 2 decades, (and close to 3 I think) of experience working for Cox, as well as experience in networking, WiFi, analog and digital communications and more. Recently I responded to a rant from someone mad at Cox because all of a sudden their data usage went Sky High, and Cox wasn't any help. Well, it's not Cox's responsibility, and we found out, that he had put ONEDRIVE on his cell phone, and it was doing complete updates on a daily basis. 

So, if you want help, we can help, if you want to kvetch, (Yes WMO, I used that word again, lol), your rant is falling on deaf ears. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        Yes WMO, I used that word again

It's a good word. It's one step down from a rant.

Stonados
    New Contributor

Cox drops internet connection 2-3 times everyday. Reset modem is the only course of action available via their up. I’m paying for gigablast and it is highly unreliable. 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

What modem and router are you using? What are the indications on the modem when you lose internet?