Forum Discussion

Campmaster
New Contributor III
11 months ago
Solved

Modem and Router or Modem/Router?

Cox tech came out sez Netgear C7000V2 I have  is not putting out signal, tests show 400% improvement when plug in ethernet cable. So, decision time:

1200 sq ft home, a box

Replace Combo Modem/Router like I have now? With what, another netgear? Moto? Linksys? etc?

Tech sez "buy Doc sys 3.1 Arris Modem and Google Nest or Mesh type router system (seems like overkill for size of area and reading emails, not a gamer or streamer out in the outback):)

Experts, I await your sage guidance...

Thank you

• I put a clock 120v switch on the router power line. It turns off once a day at 2 am for 5 minutes and then back on. I started this 3 days ago and I have had no problems with my "Combo Router" so far. Download speeds from 15-30, Upload 10-15. All day. Amazing. It seems that restarting the router daily solves the issue (for now). No new Modem. No new Router, combined or separate needed. No spending over 3-400$ as suggested by experts. I called Cox and I got them to take the $75 service call off my bill. Very pleasant and quick customer service on the phone. Pretty amazing (much better than all of my past experiences). So,  the "old" Netgear C7000V2 that has been in service 3 + years  is still working just fine in concert with the Harbor Freight timer. If it acts up I'll have the timer turn off and on more frequently. I do appreciate the time that some of the forum experts took in trying to help me solve the issue. Maybe I provided something so disgustingly low tech simple that can be used by others......

28 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Every person is going to have a different opinion. Some people like separate units,. some people like combination units. I think the best equipment for the job is whatever works for you. Netgear makes some excellent equipment. As does Arris. Motorola is no longer motorola, the NAME was first leased, and then purchased by ZOOM. I wouldn't use their equipment if I was paid to. Linksys varies. I would personally stick with Arris or Netgear. 

Getting a 3.1 may be overkill but, as everything progresses, it may be necessary one day. If you are getting new equipment, going with a 3.1 is a good idea. 

Whatever route you go, I think going with Netgear or Arris is going to be the best option. There ARE other pieces of equipment out there, but I can personally speak to the netgear and the arris equipment, and won't recommend something I am not personally familiar with. As for Motorola/Zoom. It's best suited as a paperweight, and even then I may be under qualified. 

kcb2627
    New Contributor

Modem/router combos are trash. Separate modem, separate router always.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

not entirely true. I have been using a combo unit for a LONG time with no problems at all. 

Campmaster
        New Contributor III

I put a clock 120v switch on the router power line. It turns off once a day at 2 am for 5 minutes and then back on. I started this 3 days ago and I have had no problems with my "Combo Router" so far. Download speeds from 15-30, Upload 10-15. All day. Amazing. It seems that restarting the router daily solves the issue (for now). No new Modem. No new Router, combined or separate needed. No spending over 3-400$ as suggested by experts. I called Cox and I got them to take the $75 service call off my bill. Very pleasant and quick customer service on the phone. Pretty amazing (much better than all of my past experiences). So,  the "old" Netgear C7000V2 that has been in service 3 + years  is still working just fine in concert with the Harbor Freight timer. If it acts up I'll have the timer turn off and on more frequently. I do appreciate the time that some of the forum experts took in trying to help me solve the issue. Maybe I provided something so disgustingly low tech simple that can be used by others......

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What speed/tier do you pay for? In general I suggest getting a separate modem and router, for both performance and troubleshooting reasons. If budget is a concern then I suggest the Arris SB8200 for modem and the Asus RT-AX56u for a router. If budget allows or if you get Gigabit service then I suggest the Arris S33 and Asus RT-AX86u.

Campmaster
      New Contributor III

Here is my current plan:

INTERNET

Cox Internet Ultimate

Includes:
      Download speeds up to 500 Mbps*
      1.25 TB (1,280 GB) Monthly Data Plan

I have this plan because the "package deal" was the cheapest I could get. I do not need or use speed or volume - I primarily work on this platform - no streaming gaming mega move files...

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

You didn't mention your budget. Also it sounds like you now don't want to replace your modem/router combo. If you still do, I suggest the SB8200 and RT-AX86S as a good compromise between value and performance. D3.0 modems will be severely limited once Cox switches to focus on OFDM channels.

• 1,200sq/ft. is not a lot of space to cover.  I would think a single router could cover such a space easily enough unless you live in an older structure where the walls aren't made of conventional drywall.  If you have lost of plaster or masonry interior walls you're going to have problems for sure.

Assuming a single router solution will meet your coverage needs and your networking needs are simple, either a gateway (modem/router) or modem and router solution would work.

Campmaster
      New Contributor III

The Netgear C7000V2 has been in service 3 + years. Oddly enough, after the Tech left the signal has returned to OK = it was 1 M & .5m last nite . I took a computer off life support enet cable and Voila
      NOW DOWNLOAD Mbps 28.33 UPLOAD Mbps 10.06 OOkla

All the devices (Alexa leeches) are now operating just fine. Soooo, maybe I do not need a new piece of equipment - I will wait and see. If it aint broke...but it is curious that the Modem/Router Netgear oddly starting working like new when he left...hmmmm

Thanks

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Why did a tech come to your house?  Were you having problems with your router or connectivity to Cox?