Forum Discussion

Vex
New Contributor
11 months ago

Panoramic Routers channels?

Why can I not manually adjust my Panoramic Routers channels? What is the point in locking this feature away from the end user? In a crowded apartment complex it is important to manage your own channels, not to mention ensuring your channels are not interfering with other devices in the household. 

31 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

It seems you have to disable band steering for the option for channel selection to be visible. See thread here for more info. Included in there is a link to here which shows how to disable band steering(different network name). Notice step 5 where you uncheck the box.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

If cigoss had not quoted you, you wouldn't exist in your referenced post.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Le sigh. I try to forget about that and make new posts/content to fill the void. This is a good example of when a Panoramic gateway sticky thread would be useful. Just need to find someone non-technical enough to want to use one but technical enough to post screen shots. ðŸ˜‚

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Along with adjusting channel widths, the Panoramic isn't design for people wanting to control their network.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    not to mention ensuring your channels are not interfering with other devices in the household. 

Can you explain this part? Devices only broadcast on the Wi-Fi network they are connected to. Unless you are talking about routers or APs. I understand you point overall though.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Since 2.4 and 5 GHz are unregulated, perhaps cell phones, Bluetooth, ZigBee, wireless HDMI, wireless speakers, blah, blah, blah...

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

When that modem starts up, it scans ALL the wireless channels, both the 2.4 and the 5.0 ghz  and then it selects the channel for each that has the least amount of traffic. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

It doesn't re scan if it detects congestion?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

there isn't a router out there that can do that, they ONLY scan on boot up. 

• You can change them. You don't fisable band switching at all "seem" in that WMO's reply means the person had no clue and is guessing. Took a while for me to figure out but it's actually in the cox panoramic app. Ypu cant change until you turn of automstic *recommended) and select the other option. I was changing mine a lot until a blink camerasync module install fail messed up my gateway. I'm about to return both gateways (one was a relacement) and go with something modern ; G5

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      go with something modern ; G5

What is this G5 modem you keep mentioning? Do you mean 5G instead?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

LOL, let him install 5g, and see how well his cell phone internet provider can maintain a consistent speed. I am laughing so hard I am in tears!