Forum Discussion

Jormungand
New Contributor III
2 years ago

Poor and unstable upload speeds

I live stream on Youtube and been having consistent upload speed issues. Doesn't matter what time of day or night it is either. This has been an ongoing intermittent issue where most of the time I get 1/4 to 1/10th the speed. Had 300/10 service, lucky to get a stable 2mbps up. Upgraded to gigi with 30 up, anything more than 3-5mbps up is usually unstable. I know Cox is not responsible for Youtube's ingest servers but even using my phone as a hotspot gets better results.

I've run speed tests (can't use the Cox speed test), ping trace, and monitored every hop. Almost all the packet loss and latency happens before it even exits the Cox framework. I'm also always being routed through the CMTS/Headend in Ashburn which is almost 200 miles away.

Every time support is contacted or a tech comes out it's "must be your hardware". As a former business accounts service tech, I've eliminated any chance that's it's my hardware.

So the question is who do I need to speak with to get this resolved? I'm not asking for always stable 30mbps as I know that's unicorn. Just who to talk to so I can at least get 10-15mbps stable.

36 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    mattlqx
    New Contributor II

I'm largely in the same boat here. I have random periods of light or heavy packet loss. It used to be about 2%, now the past few days it's been 20% at times. They've come out and tested my line which has a strong signal. I've wired a laptop directly into the modem and it's shown the same packet loss (aka not any switch or router issue). I've tried to convince Cox support that there's an IP level issue inside their network as the packet loss starts at the next hop beyond my modem (their concentrator) but they just insist it's my modem or device.

Even with 20% packet loss, the downstream is okay, 600mbits out of 1gbit, but the upstream is abysmal at 1-2mbits.

I've also replaced my modem for the heck of it, no change. I have graphs for TCP connection times to my server in EC2, packet loss to my next hop, but nobody qualified enough to look at it within Cox. It's pretty sad.

Not to be that guy, but I know what I'm talking about (been doing this stuff for 30 years) and trying to get beyond tier 1 support seems pretty impossible. I don't want to waste more hours waiting through the same basic questions for them to tell me it's my gear. I just keep hoping that someone in Net Eng wakes up and figures out their issues.

(the spike of 100% loss was resetting my modem)

ChrisJ2
      Hi, Mattlqx. I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. If there's an issue in the route, we can report the server if it's ours. If there's ingress on the upstream, we can address that. as well. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We really want to get you back up and running. -Chrisj - Forums Moderator
        mattlqx
        New Contributor II

A tech came out just now and didn't see too much in the way of issues from my modem, but his diagnostic tool was slow to load. Went out to the street and said he replaced a fitting that looked pretty old and when he came back in said the diag tool loaded as he would normally expect it.

We'll see if I get any further issues in the next day or two (last occurrence was last night from 8-11PM).

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      trying to get beyond tier 1 support seems pretty impossible

They got rid of Tier 2. Or at least outsourced it. Anyway, try asking for Customer Advocacy Group(CAG) instead. I hear they are a little better then Tier 1.However, for proper escalation to maintenance, a in-house technician is usually required.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Tier 2 is NOW, (CAG). We weren't outsourced, they moved us into CAG and we became a single escalation point for all escalations. I would have preferred to remain Data Tier 2, since it allowed us to specialize in a specific field, and I felt it gave people a better experience, but, Cox wanted to combine so that you have a person who handled everything, but specialized in nothing. 

3298y2938h
    New Contributor II

My first step would be to file an FCC complaint. They'll have someone from executive escalations contact you and try to figure it out. That would be your best bet in my opinion.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    I'm also always being routed through the CMTS/Headend in Ashburn which is almost 200 miles away.

FYI the CMTS is the 2nd hop. I believe that is one of their edge routers. It doesn't seem to be effecting your latency too much. I would more interesting in seeing pingplotter to youtube.

Jormungand
      New Contributor III

Sorry about that, it's been a few years since I worked in the industry. Either way, the first five hops are within the Cox system.

YouTube, Youtube primary ingest server, and Youtube backup ingest serve all look like this. Doesn't matter what time of day it is. Same goes for Meets, which is what I use for guests when doing fundraiser and educational live streams.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Could you force a IPv4 trace instead and show the whole trace? I think IPv6 routing could be different.

Also, I am showing some packet loss on hop 2 which is between modem and router. How are your modem's signal levels? For instructions, what model modem do you have?

Finally, have you tried a VPN by any chance? If that is stable that would rule out hop 2 issues. If it's a routing issue then you in for a support nightmare. I think Cox got rid of Tier 2 and all there is now is Customer Advocate Group(CAG). I think you can only escalate to them via phone. I am hoping I see something in the signal levels that will make me think a technician can handle it.

Jormungand
    New Contributor III

Well . . . that didn't last long. 

The first 24hrs upstream was fine. and speed tests were excellent. Now I'm again fighting to get stable 3mbps up.

Don't worry Cox, I set up a dedicated computer that's logging everything. 

Jormungand
      New Contributor III

The results from the past 55hrs of testing. Meanwhile "everything is fine on our end".

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Probably noise on the upstream like everything else. Maybe related to the upgrades going on. AFAIK the Panoramic gateway doesn't keep DOCSIS logs. If you had a normal modem you would probably see T3 errors. It is one of the hardest problems to troubleshoot and resolve.