Forum Discussion

Kendra1111
New Contributor
2 years ago

DOCSIS 4.0

Does anyone know when COX will be upgrading their infrastructure from 3.1 to 4.0 like they said they were going to do last year? 
https://www.coxenterprises.com/news/cox-to-offer-2-gig-symmetrical-speeds?feed=BusinessUpdates

If so, where and when will these changes take place. I am beyond mortified at how broken this internet monopoly system in the United States is holding everyone back. I am sick and tired of paying $130 a month for 10Mbps upload which is not even enough for me to have two HD streams at a time which I need. And I sure will not be paying for gigablast just for 35Mbps. If anyone knows if they will hold true to that article and when, please give me hope, thanks.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

DOCSIS 4.0 is probably still a long way but some of it depends on where you live. No doubt some areas will get the upgrade faster then others. Already some parts of OK, CA and CT have the 2 downstream OFDM channels and 1 upstream OFDM channel, making full use of  the D3.1 hardware finally. Once your area has been upgraded and implemented you should start seeing upload speeds up to 100Mbps with lower packages getting the upload speed boost soon after. 1000/100Mbps, 500/50Mbps, 100/10Mbps and so on. See my thread "Upstream OFDM is coming" for more info including links to the DSLReports threads. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Somehow i think you have misquoted your pricing, unless you are also including the cost for unlimited data. Even people with Gigablast aren't paying 130$.

Aside from that, 2 gig symmetrical speeds will be Fiber, not Docsys 4. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I thought DOCSIS 4.0 supports up to 10 Gbps speeds downstream capacity and up to 6 Gbps upstream capacity? According to here. Could it be both?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

True, but they probably will run it asymmetrical, because most people download far more data than upload. . Only fiber would be run symmetrical. 

Kendra1111
      New Contributor

I am paying exactly $139.98/mo for 250Mbps down, 10Mbps up, and unlimited data. I always managed to go over my data limit due to constant gaming, streaming, file upl/downl in my household. I have no other options that provide faster upload speed in my area. I shouldn't have to wait 2 years to be able to upload two 1080p streams at the same time when you can get fiber one town over because of the territorial monopoly this country has with internet providers. It's all just a big joke.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        I shouldn't have to wait 2 years

It could be a lot less then 2 years for your area. That is just when it will be across Cox's footprint. There will probably be upstream OFDM upgrades before that or your whole area might be changed to fiber. Unfortunately all you can do is wait, or move to a area with better ISPs.