Forum Discussion

deanchat
Contributor
2 years ago

Newer modem won't work with slower service plan? This sounds fishy.

Hi,

I have older service plans (“Cox Internet Preferred” (250/10) and “Cox Advanced TV Premier”).  I have a personally owned Motorola/Arris SB6141, which is DOCSIS 3.0, and on the Cox list of certified modems.   I get about 170 mbs download speed according to Speedtest.net.   I bought an Arris SB8200 (DOCSIS 3.1, and also Cox certified) hoping I might get closer to the 250 mbs rating and also to have a DOC 3.1 modem in place for when I decide on future service upgrades.

When I went to activate the new modem (SB8200) I was not allowed to use the self activation.  I got this message:
“Error:  Oops! You do not have access to the Self-Activation experience because you do not have an open order that requires device activation. If you believe you've received this message in error, please contact us.”

I called customer support and I am told that the new modem will not work with my current service because my current service is too slow.  I am told I need to update to a 500mps internet + Contour Ultimate package for the new modem to work properly (which also requires a $100 “pro installation”).’  I declined the service plan "upgrade" and I am using my old modem as before (with my new modem sitting around unused).

This sounds like a bunch of B.S.  Every source that I consult (such as Arris and Netgear websites) says DOCSIS 3.1 modems are fully backward compatible with DOCSIS 3.0.  It seems like the activation restriction put in place by Cox is solely to make people call support and get the hard-sell to a new service package/plan.  

Looking for some real information about why I can't use a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem with my current service plan.  I’m a 15+ year customer and not happy.  At all.

Thanks,
Dean

19 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

You were told incorrect information. Call Cox, request escalation and then they can provision your modem. 

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

Interesting. Cox told me I had to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 to go to the 500 mbps plan, even though I had a perfectly good Arris SB6183. Your modem should be fully backward compatible. I'd be persistent.

deanchat
      Contributor

I believe DOCSIS 3.0 is technically capable of going up to 800mbs but I think it is up to the service provider to decide whether they want to require 3.0 or 3.1 for their higher speed services.  Not sure what Cox does.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I am hearing a lot of complaints about Tier 1. Has anything changed since the last few months?

As for OP, Cox's pages marks their "highest package" for modems, not lowest. You should be able to run ANY package on the SB8200, with the exception of 2Gbps via DOCSIS, when it comes around.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

It's the same, Tier 1 is no longer technically trained. They are customer service script monkeys. Anything outside of that script they cannot assist and has to be escalated. AND, since they are no longer technically trained, they don't know what, or how to really troubleshoot, nor do they understand the customer's problem to even properly use the monkey script. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

But escalation to Tier 2 or CAG is still possible? I don't mind Tier 1 being brain dead as long as someone up the line knows what they are doing and the escalation chain is clear.

• Many thanks for the input.   How does one escalate?  Do I just call support and immediately ask to escalate?

LisaH
      Hi Deanchat. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        deanchat
        Contributor

Thanks Lisa!  I will contact the Cox help folks with the information you indicated.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Yes, request escalation to CAG to get your modem provisioned. 

deanchat
        Contributor

What does "CAG" mean or stand for?  Thanks!