Forum Discussion

brian1775
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Internet Connectivity Issues (High Uncorrectables One Channel)

Hello! I have been having regular (though somewhat intermittent) Internet issues for the last 2 months.

I had a Cox Technician come out mid-December and he diagnosed the issue as being a problem outside the Unit (On Cox's end) and said he'd have to have his supervisor/boss/next level tech handle the issue.

I've still been having intermittent connectivity drops, packet loss, high latency, disconnects, etc. I do not believe the work has been escalated/done but I have no way to tell otherwise and I don't know how long is reasonable to wait. I

f I go through Cox Tier 1 help again, they will want me to talk to my modem mfg, replace my router, reboot my PC, send a tech out, and determine the likely exact same issue that it's on Cox's end (again).

Attached is a screenshot of my modem with ~19 hours since it came back up from a 30+ minute total service outage. As you can see there are ~14.56mil uncorrectable errors on the 873Mhz channel and this is exactly the same issue that was happening Mid-Dec and has been happening since. 

Channel ID Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR/MER Corrected Uncorrectables
16 Locked QAM256 873000000 Hz 7.8 dBmV 39.1 dB 14109330

Link To Modem Status

https://imgur.com/a/quozWxh

22 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a direct connection from the pole to the room the modem is in? No splitters? If so try a informal FCC complaint.

brian1775
    New Contributor II

There's a small box on the outside of the unit and a short pole about 30 ft away and then a larger box at the end of the road. When the tech came out he said the problem was definitely on their side, so either from the small box->short pole or short pole->larger box.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Your downstream power level is strong enough that it is probably is a direct connection, however you might want to have a peak in that small box if you can. My question would be are your neighbors experiencing the problem, but you might need to speak to Tier 2 for that answer. That would help isolate if the problem is in the larger box or not. This should have been done when the tech. was out. Was it a inhouse technician or contractor?

brian1775
        New Contributor II

I'm sure it was a contractor, that's all that seems to be around here. He did look in the small box, replace a couple of splitters inside the house but then ran the tests and told me it was outside and on their end and said he'd escalate to have it fixed. I just don't think that ever happened, but I have no idea how to get ahold of Tier 2. All I have its the Tier 1 number and they just want to walk me through the basic troubleshooting and "send a tech out". That's what I'm hoping to get, someone from Cox who can actually see if they sent someone out as their contractor/tech wanted .

• I'd personally be happier if the MER was higher than 40 even though it can go down to 35.  Definitely some noise going on down the line.

brian1775
      New Contributor II

Still tallying ~84 hours. ~2mil correctable, ~3mil uncorrectable/hr

16 Locked QAM256 873000000 Hz 7.2 dBmV 39.2 dB 171449216 255468159

They apparently did open an escalation ticket this time (that I do have the number of from Cox) to check back in to see if anything was ever done. The tech did connect up his spectrum analyzer and found it had the same issues from Mid-Dec. Hopefully they can get this fixed so I can actually reliably play games. I told them the speed wasn't the issue of the moment, just the reliability/latency

TiffanyR
        Hello Brian1775,

I am sorry that this was not resolved with the original escalation in December. I have reviewed the account and found where the technician escalated this again. We are working to resolve the intermittent issue. Please allow up to 5 days. Is there anything else we can assist you with in the meantime?

Tiffany R.
        Cox Support Forum Moderator