Forum Discussion

smintz
New Contributor
2 years ago

downside of leaving Cox

I am paying close to 100.00 for Cox internet.  Verizon is offering 1000 @ 35.00 for a 10year price guarantee, including wireless router .

What would the downside be. I'd probably be losing my email; address which is my id for everywhere I go, anything else?

38 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Unlimited bandwidth, better latency, higher upload and cheaper price. Sounds like FIOS is a easy call. Does Cox not offer fiber in your area? HFC against FTTH is no contest. I would switch to Gmail or Proton and get FIOS. I hear Verizon/AOL email has problems.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

The downside, 

1. You can ALWAYS use your own modem and router with Cox, with Verizon, you HAVE to use their equipment. If it fails, well, too bad, so sad. 

2. While internet speeds are not guaranteed, they all say "speeds up to", see what people are getting as an average for the speed you are signed up for, run yourself a few speed tests, then see what people who are using Verizon are getting. A family member is signed up, with Verizon, and their up to 1000, is averaging 225. 

3. Check and see what you are required to have to get the 35 a month. Most of the time, you have to have their cell service, auto pay, and I think you mistyped, 1000 is FAR more than 35$ a month. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      you HAVE to use their equipment.

You can use your own router and the modem(ONT) is provided free of charge. 

A family member is signed up, with Verizon, and their up to 1000, is averaging 225. 

They must be having some kind of problem. I have FIOS and get over 500/500 consistently.  Even during storms and peak times you might see congestion on a HFC provider like Cox. Nothing is perfect, but IMO fiber is close.

Most of the time, you have to have their cell service,

Good point. The deal right now is 25$ for their base 300/300 service with Autopay and a 5G service. I pay 65$ for 500/500 with no strings attached.

BTW, I know this thread will be locked soon. Just wanted to share my opinion.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

HFC, Hybrid Fiber Coax. It's fiber up tot he point where it's converted to coax, luckily for me, that's about 19 feet from my back door. And yes, my family member is having an issue, their fiber system is old, and won't be updated to better fiber for another few years. They are waiting for their agreed time is up and they are switching providers.