Forum Discussion

markbs
New Contributor
2 years ago

Is there anyway to use panoramic wifi pods when the two bands have different SSID?

There are many older wifi devices which can not find the right band unless the 2.4 and 5 are identified with different names. The current limitation of the wifi pods to have both bands on the same name makes them useless. Is there any way to get around this. Is there any chance that COX will remove this limitation? This is very frustrating when trying to configure my smart home. I have 55 connected devices between both bands in a large home and the single panoramic gateway has weak/dead spots. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't believe you can separate the bands with the pods.  This article reads to "Ensure that your Panoramic Wifi Gateway has a single network name (SSID) and password for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands."

The only way around it is to purchase more functional gear.

www.cox.com/.../understanding-panoramic-wifi-pods.html

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

It is incorrect to believe that older devices cannot connect to 2.4 if the 5 has the same SSID, or vice versa. If a device  can ONLY connect to one or the other, the fact that there is a different frequency available is meaningless, because it cannot see it at all. Ensure there are NO spaces in the WiFi name, (SSID), and use no special characters, and you will be fine. 

• Hello Markbs,

Pods only work if you have one wifi network name and password. Your network still has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but now your Gateway will choose the best connection for your devices at any given time. Remember, you may need to reconnect devices to your wifi name and password if they were previously connected to a name designated for a single radio band.

Tiffany R.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Parrotheadaz
      New Contributor

For those devices who can only use 2.4, when the gateway automatically switches to 5.0, the device is disconnected. Particularly related to security cameras. Hence, 2 separate bands/networks must be functioning for my cameras to be connected all the time. Therefore, a pod will not work here.