Forum Discussion

decipher
Contributor
2 years ago

CGM4331 Wi-fi speed

I could not find a clear cut answer about the Wi-Fi speed capability of the CGM4331.  

I have Gigablast. 

Would the Motorola MG8725 (AX6000) offer a faster Wi-Fi signal than the Cox CGM4331 Panoramic?

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    offer a faster Wi-Fi signal

You're comparing theoretical differences but theories don't apply in the real-world (home) unless you live within an optimal, pristine, laboratory-type of environment.

Theoretically, I should be able to hit cruise control and glide down I-66 at 55 MPH; however, environmental conditions would apply:  traffic, weather, debris, etc.  It's the same for WiFi at home:  congestion, contention, interference, walls, furniture, etc.

I think the key takeaway in your question is the Panoramic.  I would follow widermouthopen's advice and buy your own gear.  If you consider a few things, Mouth may have a recommendation.

• Roughly, how much area does your WiFi need to cover?
    • One router or a mesh system (2+ routers)?
    • How many users in your house?
    • What NIC in your current devices?
    • What NIC in your anticipated devices?
    • USB ports to share a printer or storage drive?
    • Parental controls?
    • Lastly, how much do you want to spend?
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

The 4331 is WiFi6, (WiFi AX), so the Wifi capabilities are going to be the same. Are you using 2.4 or 5ghz? Remember 5 ghz has half the range of 2.4, and is more easily blocked by any solid object, (to include walls/floors/ceilings/furniture). So you may want to try the 2.4, even though it's slower, it DOES have 2x the range. Also remember any number of devices use 2.4 as well as 5ghz. Cordless phones, microwave ovens, bluetooth devices, cordless kb's and mice, Game controllers, baby monitors, garage door openers, and radio controlled toys, not to mention everyone with a router nearby. 

• Does anyone know the speed rating AX#### of the CGM4331?  I could not find it anywhere.

Most options in the marketplace range between AX2350 to AX11000?

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You need to be careful about the advertised speeds of dual-band routers (2.4 and 5 GHz) because manufacturers often add the maximum speeds of each bands together.  For example at 3 streams each:  450 Mbps + 1300 Mbps = 1750 Mbps of phenomenal WiFi speed!  Don't you believe it.

It depends on the number of antennae and streams the router and client can support, for example, 3×3:3.

decipher
        Contributor

Great thank you. I wonder why that information is not made readily available.  Wikipedia and the like are not generally recognized as authoritative sources.