Forum Discussion

wiilie_harris_2
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Why is that every fine on cox's end but terribly bad inconsistent on my end for internet speeds?

HI. I signed up for the gigablast in august of 2021 i believe and Ive had issues with it. We switched modems many techs came out etc. My speed at its peak even when it early mornings on a weekday is no more than 600mb download and 4 to 18 upload and that's hardwired...wireless its 96 to 260mbs download and 2 to 15mbs upload. its always inconsistent and its always that low for the gigablast internet plan. why is that? 

been this way remember since 2021 and its now November of 2022.....modem not obstructed...and when tech tests speeds on his devices he gets the max..tech witness on my 4 devices the slow speeds...what to do now?

16 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Downgrade your plan to its consistent measurement hardwired to the modem:  500 Mbps.

Your wireless measurements is a different story.  Routers are equal-opportunity bandwidth-sharers so the more devices connected during a measurement, the less the measurement.

wiilie_harris_2
      New Contributor II

If i downgrade i have to pay more which is stupid plus moreso the issue is inconsistent upload speeds...downloads are an issue but I'm a streamer and need the consistent upload

Allan
        @Willie Harris 2.0, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this issue to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

What modem are you using, and have you tested with a single ethernet connected computer direct to the modem? WiFi will never be an accurate method of testing. The fact that the tech is getting good speeds and you are not could be any number of things. Test with a computer connected direct via ethernet, booted up in safe mode with networking. The reboot to normal modem, and compare the speeds, if they are similar then we can take the next step, of they are radically different, faster in safe mode than normal mode, it could indicate some background software slowing the computer down. 

wiilie_harris_2
      New Contributor II

I have my xbox hard wired...and getting low speeds and my laptop has no ethernet slot so its only wifi. my cellphone both iPhone and android runs the same speed test as the laptop. so its something else cause he used his iPhone and got the speed not sure why he got full speed on his cellphone and he was present during all 4 tests and we did multiple ones and he saw the speeds were inconsistently low and fluctuating 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

You could purchase a USB-to-Ethernet adapter.  Match its USB specs to the specs of your laptop.

wiilie_harris_2
      New Contributor II

if it was just the computer sure...but its hard wire xbox....all the smart devices in the home...so its something else... and of course cox is gonna get perfect signal its cox lol everyone I know says the tech says its perfect, yet they still have trouble.....now the first tech came out said it was perfect as the speeds even showed me but before he left did a test on something outside either via truck or pole and found Ive been having upload issues for months...he confirmed that and should be on the record...so why I'm having these issues not sure and no fully explaining it just saying they see no issue , but i thank God the tech saw it first hand...