Forum Discussion

drhorton5
New Contributor
2 years ago

Does Cox internet think everyone only uses wifi to connect? It is impossible to change the name of my wifi without using the App, which does not work with my ethernet connected desktop computer?

I decided to change my wifi network name and passwords today.  Big mistake.  Once I get the internet gateway page up for the "Cox Panoramic-wifi router" up, I discover that I cannot change the name of my network or its password via my antiquated desk top computer which is connected to the wifi/router via the gateway program. . Oh no, I have to use an APP.  Most of the readers understand that a desktop with windows operating system CANNOT USE APPS.  Try getting that concept through to someone at Cox telephone support!

So apparently, if you have a hard wired (ethernet connected) DESKTOP COMPUTER connected to your "Cox Panoramic WIFI" router, you cannot use it to change your WIFI network name or PASSWORD without using an app and WIFI connection.  

BRILLIANT COX, BRILLIANT.  

9 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Get rid of the gateway and buy your own router. Vote with your wallet. If you have Cox phone service, you can get a free phone modem and Wifi 6 routers start at around 100$.

drhorton5
      New Contributor

After spending from roughly noon until roughly 4:30 this afternoon, on the phone with two, (one hung up mid call) and then 3 different people via the chat function, It certainly appears that yours is the reasonable suggestion.   I would be inclined to ask Cox, why their "Panoramic WIFI" modems (at least the "Technicolor" brand, even bother with those pesky Ethernet plugs on the back?  

I was finally able to get the SSID and Passwords changed, but Crist, it took more than 4 hours and I had to share that data with infinite idiots who seemed strangely unable to understand that with a desk top connected via an Ethernet cable COULD NOT RUN APPS.  

Yours seems to be the best solution.  I have lost all confidence in Cox, especially since they jacked my former rates from $60 a month to roughly $96.00.  And this for a customer who has been with Cox since they took over the cable franchise from the original provider.  They treat their customers with NO loyalty.

• @Drhorton5, You are correct that you will need to us the panoramic wifi app to modify/change your wifi network setting. As an alternative to your desktop computer, I would recommend using a cell phone since the app is compatible with most current cell phones. You can find more information about the app here: www.cox.com/.../panoramic-wifi-app.html -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      drhorton5
      New Contributor

Allan,

Thanks for the info.  As always things are never that simple.  I have an iPhone 6, and the app required a newer IOS that my phone apparently cannot use.  I am still just amazed that you cannot address the changes through a ethernet connected desk top computer.  Needless to say, there are problems with wireless connections, including uses that require confidentiality, such as medical records. 

Thanks for the response however. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

You are incorrect. As long as your computer is connected, via wifi OR ethernet, you can login and change the WiFi SSID and WPA key. 

samson2019
      New Contributor

can you explain how you did it. i am connected straight  to modem . i get a Gateway login page i use my log in cox user and password and it doesn't let me log in   how did you get pass this page..tell us what steps you took..

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

The gateway login page at 192.168.0.1, and the default login is admin, and the default password, is password in all lower case. It MAY require you to change the information, at which time you will have to relog back in. 

SemperFi
    New Contributor

You have a wired desktop and an old Iphone and you are paying for Panoramic wifi?  You are paying too much.