Forum Discussion

Cat_Finn
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Cox is throttling speeds of DOCSIS 3.0 modems

I used to have 250-350Mbps down 2 years ago but Cox has throttled down some older DOCSIS 3.0 modems to only have access to the essential 150mbps speed. If Cox didn't have a monopoly on internet service providers in my area I'd switch ASAP. Probably just trying to sell more of their junk modem rentals to unwitting customers and take advantage of their lack of knowledge.

11 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

If you are throttled down, it has to do with the version of D3 modem you are using. I am using an Arris 2460, 24 DS and 8 US channels, and I get 270 - 290 down consistently.

Cat_Finn
      New Contributor II

Yep. I used to have the better service 300-350+ but now I'm locked out of it so they can generate more e-waste.

CoxOCcustomer
    New Contributor III

I also have an older 3.0 modem that I was using on Cox's 250 plan (for a long time).  A few months ago I came across their new certified cable modems document to find out that my modem was now only supported up to 150.  Unfortunately Cox seemed OK letting me continue to pay for 250 - I've downgraded to 150 for the time being, but only because I noticed the issue, not because Cox came to me and told me of the change. 

Yes, my modem is old and I'll eventually get an upgrade to 3.1, but I'm a little disappointed that Cox wasn't a little more proactive once they changed their standards.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @CoxOCcustomer

I apologize if you were not made aware of the change.
      March 29, 2022 – Customers of Cox Communications’ most popular service tier can now enjoy speeds up to 66.7 percent faster at no extra charge. To enjoy these increased download speeds – from 150 Mbps to 250 Mbps – eligible customers just need to reset their modems.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
        Cat_Finn
        New Contributor II

Nope, I've talked with multiple people in tech support, a supervisor in tech support and to the customer retention/loyalty department. My modem has been reset multiple times remotely and I've rebooted it myself several times. They've assured me that my modem is being throttled down and they are not allowing me access to the service which I used to be able to enjoy.....