Forum Discussion

MickeyCT
New Contributor
2 years ago

Slow speed already - Can I downgrade without it getting worse?

I have the Cox Ultimate 500 internet yet my download speeds are less than half what is advertised.  They average between 150 and 175 Mbps.  If I downgrade my service to Ultimate 250 will Cox force the speed even lower, or will it likely stay the same?

Mickey

6 Replies

MickeyCT
    New Contributor

P.S.  I have the Panoramic WiFi with the Arris TG1682G router

newbury
      New Contributor II

Like WMO wrote - for example -

I just got fiber.  Paying for 100 up/down.  With my laptop next to the router the best wireless speed I get is 50/50.  Hooking up direct to the router with Cat 6 I get 104/106.

sacolton
    New Contributor

Sounds like you have an old DOCIS modem.  DOCIS 3.0 can't do high speed.  You will need a DOCIS 3.1 modem.

sacolton
    New Contributor

Sounds like you have an old DOCIS modem.  DOCIS 3.0 can't do high speed.  You will need a DOCIS 3.1 modem.

sacolton
    New Contributor

When I upgraded to 550mbps, I had to get the Cox Wfi Cable/Router (DOCIS 3.1) and the speed is sporadic.  Some internet speed tests show 550mbps, but some show less than 20mbps.  My downloads are barely reaching 1mb/s.  I've connected the Cat-6 directly to my PC to the Cox wfi/router/modem and it made no difference.  Wifi is faster than the ethernet for some reason.

MichaelJ
      Hi Colton,

Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance. I am sorry to hear that you are having any issues with your internet speeds. I know having a reliable internet speed is important and I want to help.

Please contact us through Facebook, Twitter @coxhelp, or via email at cox.help@cox.com. Please include your first/last name, and a link to this thread.

Thank you,

Mike J.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator