Forum Discussion

LBeasley
New Contributor
2 years ago

Upload Horrible

I have an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200A that is 4 years old. I have a RT-AC3100 router. Gigabit Ethernet package

There are days that are good and days that are bad. Download is usually around the 500-700 mark. It is the upload that is BAD. But it isnt all the time, and I dont know if there is any consistency to the times when it works or when it is really bad.

I use speedtest.net to test. When it is really bad, I sit under 1 upload, and other times it is <5. There are sometimes when it is the 30+ that it should be, but more often than not it is under.

Cox support suggests buying a new modem. I just dont feel like spending the money to keep going on a merry go round of problems that has been my Cox service. 

Any thoughts or input that has helped you or anyone you know?

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi LBeasley,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing any speed issues with your internet service. I know how important it is to have a reliable connection.

Intermittent speed issues can be difficult to pin down. I suggest bypassing the router and connecting one computer to the modem using an ethernet cord. After you have reconnected the computer directly to the modem turn the computer off (not a restart). Also, unplug the power cord from the modem. Unplug the power cord from the router also. After all devices are off, plug the power cord into the modem and wait for 1-2 minutes.

After the modem is back online, turn the computer back on. Once the computer is back up to the desktop, go to the Cox website and run the speed test: www.cox.com/.../speedtest.html

Please let me know the results for download/upload, and ping/jitter. I suggest keeping the wired connection (not using WiFi) for as long as possible to test the wired connection every 2-4 hours. Keep a record of the times and the speed test results for comparison.

Thank you,

Mike J.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

LBeasley
    New Contributor

Last couple of days I have run it and will continue to monitor speeds. Connecting the modem directly to my PC doesnt change the issue, I've tried on a few occasions. 

It seems to be fine for now.... other than the download being ~half to 1/3 less than what I pay for. 
    One small correction I have an ARRIS touchstone 8200A

I know when I brought this issue up a few months ago the Tech that serviced my house said that the node in our area was known to be over capacity and scheduled to be split into 2 nodes. I dont believe that service has happened, but I believe that my area is overloaded. 

I understand that I may not get a full 1gb download like I pay for, but when the upload is so bad, I cant stream and games lag. Let alone trying to work emergency calls under those conditions - I just wish it was something that could be identified and resolved rather than saying my modem is bad.

mnkmnk
    New Contributor

I don't think that a new modem would help. I've been through three different modems at this point, and it's not like the current modem is incapable of reaching 35 Mbps upload... it's just not available to me most of the time, like you describe. I've been having issues with my upload for several months now, but it's been almost unusable for the past 6 weeks. I've had days where I can't even do voice calls with friends and family because the upload drops so low. Customer service upgraded me to a gigablast package as a trial because this was affecting my business, and unfortunately my upload speeds were literally no different, sitting around 0-5 Mbps most of the day. I can no longer reach an American call center to get me off the upgraded plan (which was meant to be a trial) or reimburse me.

I had serious issues with my upload once before, and the problem that time ended up being damaged lines at a few other homes in the area. Whenever those people used the internet, it would create upstream noise and mess up everyone else's connection. My upload was perfect for several months after the lines were fixed, but this time I've been through literally a dozen tech visits with no change. I would honestly suggest trying another service provider if you can. I'm looking forward to moving next year and not dealing with Cox any more.

DavidA2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Mnkmnk,

I am sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your upload speeds and trying to get it resolved. Please feel free to email us at Cox.help@cox.com with your service address and a link to this forum thread. We would be happy to look into that with you.

David
      Cox Forums Moderator