Forum Discussion

Luz
New Contributor II
8 years ago

FOX Channels - No Audio

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this - but starting this morning, there has been no sound on any of the Fox channels that I receive in Las Vegas.  This includes Fox Business, Fox News and Fox 5.  This includes the HD as well as the regular channels.  I called Cox support and they reset my box to no avail.  BTW, some of the commercials on these channels have functioning audio.  The Cox support had no answers.  I'll wait a couple of days and if this issue is not resolved, I'll be having a serious talk with the DISH/DIRECT TV reps that always approach me with friendly greetings every time I visit Costco.

As an aside - I've never had a service provider that does not list a service/support phone number on their monthly invoice - Until COX.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    chris_c21
    Contributor III

Strange that the audio issue is only on those specific channels, and only during the actual programming.

However, every one of my monthly statements has a Contact Us section on the first page with two phone numbers so I'm not sure what statement you're looking at.

ReneeG
    Former Moderator
    Hi Luz,

That sounds odd. I recommend checking the settings on the box as well as the TV set to ensure that the SAP setting is turned off/disabled. I hope this helps.

Luz
    New Contributor II

Thanks for suggestions.  I tried but no luck.  I have found that channels 5, 6, 1005, 1021, 1094 have no audio EXCEPT during some commercials.  I called cox and they tried resetting more stuff that didn't work so have scheduled a technician to come out in a couple days.

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    This sounds like a SAP issue and it could be the setting in the receiver or the TV. Are you having this issue on all TVs?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It does sound like an SAP issue.  Your setting may be correct but the tuner in your cable box may be the problem.  These are reissued boxes and not of the best quality.

It's odd this started suddenly.  Inspect all your connections (coaxial, HDMI) as well as the insulation protecting the cables.  Inspect your cable splitter(s).

Are there other components involved, such as an Audio/Video Receiver or soundbar?

For now, I'd avoid the $100 service call and exchange the box at a Service Center.

Luz
    New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. As far as these SAP suggestions, that I greatly appreciate - the only SAP around here is me.  I don't see any SAP buttons on the TV or remote.  It's a strange problem.  I got a hold of Cox and they said the service fee was $60 here in Las Vegas.  Also, if the problem is a defective box - they said there will be no fee.  So, I'll take the $60 hit if I screwed up.  The problem cropped up on a couple more channels too.  One being GSN (that saddens my elderly mom because she can't hear Steve Harvey host Family Feud).  My only fear is that it starts working right before the tech shows up.

ReneeG
    Former Moderator
    Hi Luz,

You can locate the SAP setting by pressing Menu (blue Cox button) > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Settings > Audio Language. You want to ensure that the dot is next to Primary and not Alternate (SAP). Let us know if this helps.

Luz
    New Contributor II

ReneeG,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain how to find the SAP!!!!  It was the SAP!!!  I put it back to Primary and all the channels have sound again.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I cancelled my service appt. and saved the money.  Great. Couple of points:  I called Cox service twice - explained the problem and was never told about SAP.  They only reset my box.  It also is pretty amazing that my mother could have tunnelled down four layers into these sub-menus to change the SAP when she only had the remote in her hand for a minute while trying to find the Game Show Network.  Anyway, it's all good and you have saved the day Renee!