Forum Discussion

Flinx
Contributor
2 years ago

constant repeating internet problems since moving to new house

every day since I moved in to my new house (4 weeks ago)  the internet has been going up and down. starting between 6am and 8am with most mornings at just after 7am.

then for most off the day my cable modem has this error message No Ranging Response received or Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response.

I have monitored this for several days using star trinity CST constant ping. the problem seems to get better around 11am ish. then picks up again around 3pm and continues getting worse till it suddenly clears up around 8pm. it will then be perfect all night long where it repeats again the next morning.

my signal was -18dbmV without a booster (when I moved in). with a booster it was -3dbmV.

The equipment I have was the same at my old house (booster included) which had no problems. I have contacted tech support (worthless) all they say is that it must be my equipment. When I finally got a tech to come out he was super friendly and enthusiastic but obviously was just trying to get away. he replaced a splitter that he claimed was supposed to be powered (but wasn't). he removed my signal booster and the signal went to between -4dbmV and -2dbmV.

the cable modem was connecting on the 429mhz band before he came out, now it is on 900mhz. the signal still wavers between -3dbmV and -2dbmV

I later removed the splitter he put on because it was not needed, the other connections that were on it I am not using. the signal went up another 1dbmV.

I need someone to look in to this in our neighborhood and own the issue. If it ends up that somehow in moving my cable modem and other equipment to the new house something went kablooey fine but I have no spare modems to just casually swap out. unfortunately I have not been able to march up and down the street asking my neighbors if they have a problem. but then I should not have to.

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello Flinx, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com so we can look into this issue on your behalf. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Can you post your signal levels to the Forum?  Not your Event log but your signals (numbers).

I read approximate 4-hour blocks of time chronologically turning on then off in your neighborhood and causing interference.  I don't know what it could be...perhaps something within a School Zone or the like.

Flinx
      Contributor

signals on 4-24-2022 no signal booster

signal levels from a few minutes ago no signal booster one splitter

logs from today it only shows what you see.

attached is a ping log of a typical day number of seconds up vs down

school zone? there is no school zone within maybe a mile from me. line 98 in the xlsx is during the night with 40363 seconds up (no ping loss).

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Are you now choosing to go without the booster?

Looks like your SNR improved and DOWN power within range.  Looks like channels 1 and 4 lost a little UP power.

What's your uncorrectables look like today?

Flinx
      Contributor

oh and also whenever the internet is acting up, tv acts up as well. not as bad as it was but still very annoying.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

What's the make and model of your Internet modem?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The tech definitely improved your DOWN power and SNR.  Your UP power, however, seems good just not great.

It must be after 3 PM now, is your Internet service staying up?

Flinx
      Contributor

it is 1:50 and the internet has been fine for the last couple of hours, but in an hour or 2 it will start to have problems.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

When it begins to happen at 3 PM, I would NOT call or chat but do as allan recommended and send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your Full Name and Complete Address.  The rep can remote to your modem to check UP specs.