Forum Discussion

Zumie73
New Contributor
2 years ago

Installing Kasa smart switch

I've lost conductivity to my KASA smart switches.

When I researched cause it became evident that the smart switches will only connect to a 2.4ghz network.

My Netgear Nighthawk C7800 sends both the 2.4 and the 5 ghz signal so the switches are unable to connect to the network (incompatible).

Question is-  Is there a way to temporarily turn off the 5g network signal until I get switches connected?

Has anyone else encountered this issue? It seems to be a common issue when I trouble shoot smart switches.

Thank you

4 Replies

Andrew_Wees
    Contributor III

Can you set separate SSID for the wireless or check if anything can connect at 2.4 the wireless might be faulty or the smart switch could be faulty 

Zumie73
      New Contributor

On my phone I can  connect to both my 5 and 2.4, as well as my extender in both 5 and 2.4.  

Signal strength seems to be fine. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Having "lost" connectivity means you had connectivity...so it's not an issue with incompatibility.

Did you recently reconfigure something (router, switch) on your network?  Any recent firmware updates requiring a reboot?  Is your router configured to automatically change/optimize channel widths (20, 40, 80, etc MHz)?

If the switch is configured for 2.4, it'll only communicate on 2.4, unless, as Andrew noted, you combined the 2.4 and 5 into 1 network.

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

The only other thing could be the 2.4 is not working