Forum Discussion

BMcC
New Contributor
3 years ago

No IPv6 address detected, Random Cox open unsecured hotspot, & hidden network

I am having a similar issue to this gentleman.

https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/23408/very-odd-issue---ipv6-firewall-causing-unbearable-packet-loss 

Additionally my bill is outrageous it’s increased by over $100 in 3 years, I’ve always had internet issues I started just using my mobile hotspot but I shouldn’t have to do any of this.

I have some random open unsecured network named Coxwifi signal set up with “my router” which I didn’t opt in to. I don’t care if another member has to sign on to their “cox account to access” I do not want it coming off of my router. That seems crazy to me… Like why don’t my neighbors start sharing passwords and network connections and just have 1 account? I mean my signal already **. And I recently noticed a Hidden network with a strong signal, that wasn’t there previously either.  When I test my IPv6 connection it shows:

1. There’s no detectable IPv6 address at all.
2. Connections to IPv6 only sites are timing out. Any website that is IPv6 only will appear to be down to you. 
3. You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6 only sites. 
4. To ensure the best internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6?!?!
5. But at the bottom it says your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 access. 

Note when testing via my mobile hotspot I’m a 10/10 and have both IPv6 & IPv4.

I need to know how was this case resolved and what I do ASAP. Because #4 is unacceptable I pay over $250/month. 

Sincerely,

BMcC

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @ BMcC
    I know it is important for you to get the best value for your services and I know how important it is to have stable internet connections. Your Cox Panoramic Wifi Gateway broadcasts an additional SSID, “CoxWiFi” network signal, creating an extension of the Cox Wifi network right in your home. This service is completely separate from your private home Wifi network and allows guests who are eligible Cox Internet subscribers to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Cox Hotspots are intended for qualified Cox customers visiting your home whose speed tiers include Connect2Compete, Preferred, Ultimate, and Gigablast. The Cox Hotspots feature is included with your Panoramic Wifi device at no additional charge. The “CoxWiFi” SSID has a separate data stream, so it will not impact your speed or usage. To disable Cox Hotspots, complete the following steps.

Open a web browser and enter www.cox.com/myprofile.
    Sign in to your account by entering your primary Cox user ID and password.
    From the Password & Security section, click Privacy Settings.
    Then click the radio button next to Disable.
    Click Save changes.
    www.cox.com/.../cox-hotspots-with-panoramic-wifi.html

Can you please give detailed information on how you "tested" your IPv6 connection (attach screenshots if available)? Billing and account pricing questions that require the sharing of personal information aren't suited for a public forum. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address for inquiries about billing.

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator