Forum Discussion

juanakillmyself
New Contributor
3 years ago

Internet drops randomly and frequently

So for a while now i’ve had random drops in internet while gaming at night which wasn’t too bad. however, starting about 2 weeks ago these drops are happening throughout the entire day and effecting everything connected to the internet whether it’s hard wired or wireless. i’ve had 2 separate techs come out (one just left about an hour ago because we thought the problem was resolved). the first one changed the modem 3 times and it worked for about 2 hours. the second one changed all the fittings on our coaxial lines and that gave us better speeds so we assumed it worked. but the problem is happening again. everything loses signal and the tv’s begin to freeze until it’s back. the light on the modem also stays white like if everything is working fine. i don’t know where else to go from here.

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    brunetbj
    New Contributor

Yeah my internet goes up and down like mad! Been happening for a VERY long time. They do not care yet they take the time to keep raising my bill! I have proof with multiple speed tests over a month but they never seem to want to see the proof.... VERY dissatisfied and the SECOND another company goes in I'll be dropping Cox like nobody's business! Multiple modems, techs coming out. Their infrastructure has to be the problem or they don't know how to test it ou! 157mbps, then 18.3, 16, 27, 9, 179, 36,22,38,172,23,23,18,145,178,15,25,48 etc...get the point?! Ridiculous!

DavidA2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Brunetbj,

I am sorry to hear that you have been having trouble. I am also sorry if we made you feel that we are not interested in fixing the issue. I can assure you that is not the case. If you would like for us to take a look at the account, we would be happy to. To do that, we ask that you email us at cox.help@cox.com with your service address and a link to this forum thread.

David
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Guy_Dudebro
      New Contributor

Happens all the time and they don't care. They did a recent upgrade in my area and it is now worse. Must be nice to have a monopoly in my area and I have no other internet options. Fix this soon please Cox, you charge an insane amount and don't provide the services/consistency we pay for.

Badupgrade
    New Contributor

I have the same issue now since Cox did maintenance in our area to improve our service.

Cyrusgm
      New Contributor II

Interesting, Cox did upgrades in my area recently, and now a get these momentary drop outs as well.

DavidA2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Cyrusgm,

I can certainly understand your concern. That is not the experience we want for you. Please feel free to email us regarding your account at cox.help@cox.com with your service address and a link to this thread.

David
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @Junakillmyself,

I wouldn’t like it either if that happened to me, so I understand why you feel the way you do. Let me get to the bottom of this. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
  • This sounds like it could packet loss unless you're really using up all of your bandwidth.

Since your modem seems to think it's still connected when you get drops try running a test with a utility that can give you packet loss stats.

There's a ton out there. I've been using mtr and PingPlotter Free.

Slower speeds aren't really a great indicator of connectivity. You will see varying speeds if you're actively using your connection or are doing a speed test to servers that won't keep up or aren't a Cox to Cox connection. If it's consistently slow without packet loss and you're not actively using your bandwidth it might be a capacity issue which Cox should in my opinion increase for your area.

• I have called in with the same issue several times. Cox Support is zero help. The last one simply said, "Well, keep an eye on it." Before that, it was "I don't see any issues in your area." I guess I must be imagining it all, even though movies stop streaming, games stop playing, etc. Add to the issues the prices Cox charges and they will soon lose me as a customer.

• I have called in with the same issue several times. Cox Support is zero help. The last one simply said, "Well, keep an eye on it." Before that, it was "I don't see any issues in your area." I guess I must be imagining it all, even though movies stop streaming, games stop playing, etc. Add to the issues the prices Cox charges and they will soon lose me as a customer.

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello @CoxHatesEric,

That's not the experience I want you to have. We can see you're clearly upset & would like to get to the bottom of your issue. We want to make sure you are heard; however, the purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.