Forum Discussion

ytchen
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Question about fiber optic internet for home

I have a question about the internet speed if I have fiber optic in my home. 

I live in a new neighborhood with only fiber-optic service from COX (I don't have COAX from COX). 

When the tech guy installed the internet for me, he told me that my upload speed can go up to 500Mbps if I upgrade to 500Mbps download speed. 

However, when I tried to upgrade my internet speed with representatives (I tried several times), all of them said that my upload will still be 10Mbps. 

I am very confused and wondering which one is correct information. 

Could anyone tell me? Thanks!

• Hello @Ytchen,

I completely understand the confusion with all of the different information. I'm here to help. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • The tech and rep are correct.  You could get either 10 or 500 Mbps depending "...on the network architecture serving your physical address."  Since you have fiber in your area, you would assume 500 Mbps as opposed to coax.

However, there is also a caveat (under the gigabit plan) to ensure "consistent service across customers during periods of sustained increased internet usage," Cox could ration your bandwidth at periods.  If the rep insists 10 Mbps for your area, Cox must have implemented some type of "blanketed" period of sustainment.

If Cox can't give it, don't buy it.

www.cox.com/.../speeds-and-data-plans.html

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @Ytchen,

I completely understand the confusion with all of the different information. I'm here to help. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The tech and rep are correct.  You could get either 10 or 500 Mbps depending "...on the network architecture serving your physical address."  Since you have fiber in your area, you would assume 500 Mbps as opposed to coax.

However, there is also a caveat (under the gigabit plan) to ensure "consistent service across customers during periods of sustained increased internet usage," Cox could ration your bandwidth at periods.  If the rep insists 10 Mbps for your area, Cox must have implemented some type of "blanketed" period of sustainment.

If Cox can't give it, don't buy it.

www.cox.com/.../speeds-and-data-plans.html