Forum Discussion

Harmony1973
New Contributor
3 years ago

Gold Standard Instructions For Replacing Current Combo Modem/ Router With New NETGEAR - Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700 Wi-Fi 6 Cable Modem Router

I want to make this as painless and foolproof as possible when the time comes. Unit is already Cox approved.

I can go on the Cox website and I found two links. I get the feeling however they may be talking about modems that you get from Cox and this is not the case. I'll be purchasing the Nighthawk.

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/activating-a-new-modem-or-gateway.html

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/activating-your-new-internet-or-phone-modem.html

Are there better DIY instructions on how to pull the plug on my current working modem and plug in the new one via Ethernet to get it working and registered with Cox?

I guess I can always call up support and ask them for help but I wanted to see what you all had to say first. TIA.

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    I get the feeling however they may be talking about modems that you get from Cox

Are you referring to this line in the first link:  "If you did not purchase your modem new from a third-party retailer but instead purchased or received it in used condition...?"

Cox is just referring to lost or stolen modems.  There may be either a blacklist via MAC or a conflict with a servicing address.  If it's used and won't register, just call Cox to research why.

You can purchase whatever DOCSIS you want from anywhere...just as long as its make & model is approved and not reported as lost, stolen or conflicted.

Normally when you purchase from a Cox Store, the rep (sometimes) should register your account for a "self-install" and when you get home, connect it and wait...it should register.

However, if you purchase from somewhere else, you won't get registered for a self-install.  In this case, just connect, call Cox and navigate to whatever option to register a new device.  This will lead you to a techie somewhere around the country...and not a sales rep (yuck!).

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I have landline service with Cox so the rep freely loaned me a combo DOCSIS-landline modem.

After 6 months, the DOCSIS portion of the combo device failed.  I still had my previous DOCSIS 3.0...which had previously registered fine with Cox...but when I reconnected it the second time, I still had to call to register and activate it.

Bottom line:  If you're not registered (scheduled) for a self-install, you'll need to call.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm just babbling here but when I first subscribed to broadband service in the late 90s, an installation CD came with the D1.0 modem.  Ahh...simpler times.

Nowadays, it's a conundrum if you don't have a cell phone.  "Call us on your telephone to activate your telephone service!"  You'd have to find a payphone to activate.