Forum Discussion

rayneman
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Devices say WiFi password is wrong!

Today, all our devices won’t connect to our panoramic WiFi. They all see a strong signal, but they say the pass key is incorrect when  we try to connect. I have not changed any passwords, and the Cox WiFi app confirms the password is correct. I restarted several times to no avail, Cox support chat can’t help and I am totally stuck. They are trying to get a tech to visit but it will be several days. 

I know I’m using the right password, nobody changed it, I know I’m using the right network name … everything was fine last night but all has changed this morning. 

Any ideas?  I tried to change the password, which seemed to work on the app, but still the devices said it was wrong.  I’ve exhausted anything I believe I can do. 

8 Replies

AMA
    New Contributor

I have the same issue, noticed it about 5AM CDT.

rayneman
      New Contributor II

If I reset my router, I can get a phone and maybe a tablet to connect for a few minutes, then it drops, and when I try to reconnect I get the issue with the password. My work laptop won’t connect at all, and I called our service desk and they confirmed that my laptop sees the password as incorrect even though it is not. This stinks!!!!

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @AMA

Please email me at cox.help@cox.com with your service address and name as this will allow us to locate your Cox account and work towards a resolution.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

After 1 incident I assumed user error (no offense)...but 2?

What are the makes and models of each of your Panoramics?

A moderator would have to confirm if Cox pushed any updates to specific units.  (This will be like pulling tooths)

Any devices wired to your routers and if so, do these wired devices lose networking?

rayneman
      New Contributor II

My Gateway is a Technicolor CGM4140COM  revision 2.2 or at least that’s what the app says  

I was able to connect my laptop to my router with a short Ethernet cable and it has connectivity, just not from WiFi. I am nearly 100% sure this is not user error, as I’ve verified the password with the Cox WiFi app, and I can get a few minutes of WiFi connection from my iPhone before it loses the internet connection. My pods are both online and all devices “see” the signal.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Losing Internet on a device could be anything between the device and the modem.  The wired device could reveal if there is a problem at the router or modem.  If the wired device is stable, you're right, there is something happening with the wireless.  Being unable to verify the encryption key is a deep one.