Forum Discussion

vegas62
New Contributor II
3 years ago
Solved

Netgear Orbi CBR750 Wi-Fi 6 DOCSIS 3.1 Mesh Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router - won't bond to more than 4-upstream bonded channels

I spoke to Cox sales & tech support prior to purchase of the CBR750 to verify this device is certified to work on the Cox network. - The Cox website actually features the modem- COX CBR750 page

I have reached out though Facebook messenger, and cox.help@cox.com

The issue is that we had a scheduled ‘upgrade’ to our service area in Apri 22, 2021

Our service area had an additional 4-upstream channels added to allow for the full ‘8’ — the Cox tech verified today that his field modem was getting the full 8 — the above The CBR750 is only locking Channel ID 1-4

The Cox webpage (link above) clearly states for the CBR750: “32x8 channel bonding” 

I need someone in Cox engineering to determine that the current modem firmware (V1.01.08.) does not allow for all 8 - upstream bonded channels with Cox cable. And or that my modem is correctly provisioned with the appropriate coding to allow for the full 32x8 channel bonding. 

I cannot personally provision these settings—or modify firmware. 

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 16900000 Hz 40.0 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 23500000 Hz 42.0 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 29900000 Hz 43.8 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 36300000 Hz 43.3 dBmV
5 Not Locked N/A Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked N/A Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked N/A Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked N/A Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
ROUTER INFORMATION
Hardware Version CBR750
Orbi Firmware Version V3.2.18.2_1.4.14
CM Firmware Version V1.01.08
CM Serial Number 67A109XXXXXXX
CM Certificate Installed

Facebook Messenger replies from Cox: 

"Hello XXXX. My name is Allison and I will be assisting you while Maria is away. We value you as a customer and apologize that you are experiencing issues with your modem upload bond channels. After reviewing your account, your account shows that your modem's current firmware version is V1.01.08. We are unable to send anything to you confirming this, but I will provide additional information on getting to this information on your own shortly. Currently, your modem is bonding to 4 upstream channels. We would have to refer you to the manufacturer of the modem to see why all 8 channels on your modem is not working. You can also attempt to log into your modem on your own by going to http://routerlogin.net and use the default username "admin" and password of "password" to login to your router directly to troubleshoot this. Here, you will also be able to find the latest firmware that is on your modem. We are unable to troubleshoot 3rd party equipment through this channel. However, for additional support on this you would have to reach out to NETGEAR or you can add our Advance support Cox Complete Care which $9.99 a month, they can remotely access your computer and assist you with diagnosing your equipment. -Allison"

///////

I apologize XXXX, there is no other team I can get you over to, besides the options I've already provided. I understand this is not the answers you are seeking, however those are the only two options I can provide to you. You can also reach out to our Technical Support department at 800-234-3993, if you wanted to speak to someone directly about this. -Allison

///////

I definitely understand your frustrations XXXX. I'm sorry we could not be of more help. Please feel free to download our free Cox App to manage your account. If we can ever be of additional support, please reach out. We are online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. -Allison

Apple Devices - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cox-connect/id415894489?mt=8

Android Devices - https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.cox.android.mobileconnect&hl=en

• As of this morning - Cox manually pushed a patch to the modem

--All eight upstream channels are now showing and locked! 😀 

Was notified that if I hard reset the modem I'd loose everything. And that Cox is waiting for the update from Netgear. But as I suspected, Cox was able to re-provision and modify the boot script to allow for this correcting in the interim. 

Thank you to all who contributed here. 

Thank you to The entire Cox field tech team.-

-Especially Josh B. who was first to submit the ESR 'Remedy' ticket. 

Thank you to the Cox engineering team as well for facilitating this correction. I did learn that all Cox customers with the CBR750 modem would potentially be affected as well--Granted not all of whom would have 8 upstream available...

Over and out--

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What specifically are you troubleshooting...your up-speed, number of up-channels or both?  If you're not getting your promised up-speed, I'd assume only 4 channels could be the culprit but only getting 4 up-channels is due to something else...such as the width of the channels.

Although Cox may have upgraded your area to D3.1, Cox may still have limited up-speeds due to areas with "...periods of sustained increased internet usage."  In other words, you may subscribe to 35 Mbps but Cox will intentionally choke you to 10.

I'm unsure what the tech installed but it was probably provisioned for some privileged tech-account without any restrictions.

Cox controls the firmware.  Cox has the final "yea" or "nay" on whatever version a manufacturer releases.  Did the rep ever verify if your version is the latest approved version from Netgear?  It's weird how the rep wouldn't confirm this.

vegas62
      New Contributor II

Troubleshooting - the lack of sufficient channels for my area, which needed 8, to maintain consistent connectivity, especially during peak times is the main issue. The 4-channels (ID's 1-4) are swamped and my modem is not able to utilize the additional frequencies to keep the uplink speeds in a usable range 3-5mb+ range - Ushally the speed will crawl to a halt and then go offline. here are upstream: 

Channel ID's &  Hz--

4- 16.9

3- 23.5

2 - 29.9

1 - 36.3

Do not have-- 

5 - 60.0

6 - 67.0

7 - 74.0

8 - 81.0 

Netgear (my understanding) controls their own device firmware--Cox only pushes what they get. Cox provisions the modems according to their network--This matter essentially needs an engineering ticket / report to then initiate an industry ticket -- for testing and a future firmware patch, then testing, release--. Which could take months...

Cox honestly needs a closer relationship with these 'Approved Device' companies. And frankly--moreover, to actually field test the units prior to stamping them as approved. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        Cox only pushes what they get

Not true.  Manufacturers do create firmware but whatever version released, Cox has to test and certify for compatibility, security, efficiency because its their network.

Good background with your neighbors getting 8 channels.  Do they rent their routers?  I'd hate only getting the 8 channels if I had to rent from Cox.  Cox may be giving you the runaround until you do.

Your modem is on the certified list, your neighbors get 8 channels, you need 8 channels, you should be getting 8 channels.

I didn't like the "answer" from FaceSpace.  Yeah...keep escalating and be persistent because Cox is depending on you just giving up/in.  Don't rent!