Forum Discussion

bwiley1
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Is Docsis 3.1 more susceptible to upstream noise than Docsis 3.0?

I've been a Cox customer for 22+ years.  I've rarely had any issues.  A few years back, I had had voltage on my upstream and they replaced a cable from my house to the pole.  But other than that, no issues at all.

I had a 16x4 Docsis 3.0 Netgear modem.  Was on the 300/30 plan.  It was pretty fast, like I said, no issues.

So last week I got the email blast about upgrading to Docsis 3.1, figured I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

It worked blindingly fast for the first day or so, was getting around 850 down and 34 up  consistently, no issues.

Then it started dropping to nothing.  Every day since then, still getting about 750-850 down, but only getting 0-10 up.  It says I have between 40-60% packet loss. Constant disconnects.

Cox is telling me there is "noise" on the upstream line.

So what changed between me having Docsis 3.0 and switching to Docsis 3.1?  I have a Motorola 8600 modem.  Is Docsis 3.1 more susceptible to noise?

3 Replies

• @Bwiley1, We appreciate your tenure with our family and we recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      bwiley1
      New Contributor II

A tech is coming out today between 1 and 3p to check.  If the issue is unresolved, I'll let you know.  i was just curious about the differences between Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 for noise on the line.  Why suddenly it's an issue when it's been fine for years.

Allan
        @Bwiley1, No worries. Please let us know if you have any issues or concerns after the tech visit. We will be here to help. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.