Forum Discussion

JinnTheCat
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Cox Communications Email Scam

I recently received an email from cox referencing their updated Ultimate Plan. Presented with option 1, keeping my current tier 300mb down 30mb up at my current rate but I have to update my modem. Okay. Option 2, 500mb dowload speed 10mb at my current rate as well but i still have to upgrade modem. Okay. Clicked on cox link of approved modems and purchased one. Upon calling cox decide option one or two and to activate my new modem. The rep tells me my bill is going up $15 with my free upgrade? Its bad enough cox lost the RSN sport networks, if internet goes too im afraid my 15 years+ with cox is over. Very dissapointed in Cox Communications Marketing & Sales customer service.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JinnTheCat
    New Contributor II

Solved. Call Cox Loyaly 1 844 227 3943. They get everything done. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

If you don't remind Cox to be loyal, they won't be.

JinnTheCat
    New Contributor II
    OPTION ONE:
    KEEP YOUR PLAN AND UPDATE YOUR MODEM

To keep your current Ultimate Classic* plan of 300 Mbps download speeds and 30 Mbps upload speeds, you need to update your modem before Wednesday, April 14, 2021. To do this, you can either:
    1. update your own device to any Cox-compatible DOCSIS 3.1 modems listed here; or
    2. call to upgrade to a Cox Panoramic Wifi Gateway—at no additional monthly cost for 12 months—which means you’ll have access to:
      • Automatic software updates.
      • An option to swap for our latest equipment every three years.
      • 24/7, real-time security and activity alerts against online threats.
      • Your plan’s top speeds.
    *Note that this is a retired plan, therefore any future changes to your services after the date above could require a change to your Internet plan.

OPTION TWO:
    MOVE TO A PLAN WITH MORE DOWNLOAD SPEEDS

If you don’t update your modem by Wednesday, April 14, 2021, you’ll be moved to our new Ultimate plan with download speeds of up to 500 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps.

Good news, the current rate for your internet plan won’t increase as a result of this change.

Even with this change, you need to update your modem to fully enjoy the increase in download speeds. You can choose to update your own device or rent a modem from Cox as explained above.

Ultimate has download speeds of up to 500 Mbps, 60% more than Ultimate Classic 300 for an even better internet experience for activities like streaming TV on more connected devices in your home.

Ultimate’s lower upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps still support the typical needs of most users like video chatting, gaming and uploading large files.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

If Cox promised "...at your current rate..." and you didn't cancel any service and went out-of-pocket for the modem, there's no logic to increase your monthly cost...unless is more taxes, fees and surcharges but $15 is kinda high for this.

You'll need to email Cox to ask "why."

pyromanic82
    New Contributor

This is a scam by Cox.  I called the number and the rep confirmed this was nothing but a ploy to get people off the old 300/30 plan.  I'm filing a complaint with the OKAG and advise anyone else impacted to do so.  There is no "technical/Network upgrade" Cox is doing to require a change like this.  This is their way to get people to either A. upgrade equipment or B. upgrade plans so that they do not have to Grandfather us in. The 500mbps they are offering if you do not change your modem is a joke, as A. you'll still be capped at 300mbps down, and B. your upload speed is being DOWNGRADED to 10mbps

JCSRL
    New Contributor

I got the same email.  I wanted to keep my Ultimate Classic 300 (300 down, 30 up).  Per the email I had to call and have them come out and replace my modem with a newer DOCSIS modem  They took my old modem and both of the extenders I had hooked up to two desktops upstairs (one for kid's gaming and the other for work computer that is not allowed to interface via WiFi due to security protocol).

The techs told me not to buy Cox's pods but go buy MoCA adapters instead.  They enabled MoCA on the modem before they left.  So I went to Best Buy and bought a two-pack of Actiontec MoCA adapters.  Hooked the two computers back up...computer ethernet to MoCA and the MoCA coax to the wall.  Had to go into the Gateway to reenable MoCA on the modem.  It keeps automatically getting disabled.

Was on the phone with tech support today and they said the "new" modem doesn't support MoCA.  I don't understand this if the thing has MoCA capability and I can go into the Gateway to enable it.  It just keeps disconnecting several times throughout the day.

Now they're telling me I need to buy my own modem and a wireless router in order to use the MoCA adapters for the desktops that need to be hardwired.  Beyond frustrated!  Anyone else having this same problem or know a better way to fix my current situation.  All help appreciated.

Superbigwaff
      Contributor

What they told you is not true. You can definitely use the MoCA adapters with the Cox modem but you will need a third MoCA adapter which will take the place of the "disabled MoCA feature" of the Cox modem.

See my post at the end of this thread for information on MoCA installation...

forums.cox.com/.../110992

JCSRL
        New Contributor

Wow, that's a lot to digest, LOL.  I skimmed and saw a PoE filter, a third MoCA adapter, and coax terminations for any unused lines

Any idea why I can enable MoCA through the Gateway if it's supposedly a feature that's not supported?  I also don't understand why the techs recommended and enabled MoCA on the modem while they were here.

Thanks for all the info.