Forum Discussion

Standarche
New Contributor II
4 years ago

[Update] Confirmed Packet Loss Resolution: Goodbye Cox - 92071

I had an appt tonight between 5-630pm where I waited at my door for the tech to arrive. At about 545pm I got a text saying my appt had been cancelled. I talked with support and the said that the tech fixed it outside. I ran a simple ping test to 8.8.8.8 and had total packet loss after 9 pings. Not fixed. I sent a picture to the support to confirm. They then said the tech said I was not home. When I asked for the name of the technician Marlon in support, who was great, said there was no name attached to the service. Good ole private IP address in-between my modem and cox at 10.150.0.1 causing my packet loss. 

***2/9: Technician, James, who was amazing, came out tonight and confirmed a 5% packet loss and said "this is not right, I'm going to submit this" When I asked what that means he said "it means that I'm going to recommend repairs on the plant for this area"***

I will continue to update the progress on this issue as it happens...

***2/10: Tech came out and noted that the plant was in good condition but the entire area is oversold and cannot support the bandwidth. The estimated time to fix is October. Goodbye Cox!***

***2/11: Cox support referred me to customer retention but they said I do not have an account with Cox. Nice way to solve the problem, just ignore I exist...awesome!. I notified our HOA that Cox is no longer working in our area and for residents to seek alternate ISPs. I am also going to contact the local news here in San Diego to ask them to investigate why Cox knowingly oversold this area. Cox wants to say that the reason it's broken is that people are using their internet. Cox sold them the bandwidth knowing they couldn't support it. Cox needs to be held accountable for their negligence.*** 

***2/23: I have cancelled Cox after a week or so of testing a gateway from T-Mobile for home internet. My speeds are between 25-110mbps depending on what band of LTE I can connect to. It isn't a perfect solution, but it is significantly more reliable than the packet loss problems Cox created in my area.

19 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Standarche
    New Contributor II

Just had a much better internet experience tethered to my phone on LTE than on Cox...

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello,

This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
        Standarche
        New Contributor II

I attempted to setup someone to come out and look at the lines cox installed but the technician lied. There is another appt for the 9th...hopefully I am still a cox customer come the 10th.

Viole
    New Contributor III

I'm also in the 92071 area code and I have the exact same problem. I also had a technician come out last year in August who also detected packet loss and submitted a ticket for repairs in the plant for the area. My internet had finally stabilized for a while but the same problem has come back now and the internet constantly drops. 

Viole
        New Contributor III

I'll see if the technician appointment fixes anything in case before I switch. Thanks for the information.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @ Viole,

I regret to hear that you are having issues with your internet again. I checked your network and there are no open network issues. I also see timeouts on your modem. If you have any splitters or amplifiers try to bypass them to see if your signal improves. If you do not have any of those you should send us an email at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address and we can send out a technician for you.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Viole
        New Contributor III

I just removed the amplifier and the issue still persist, the internet keeps constantly disconnecting. I get kicked out of my class zoom meetings all the time and my parents use voip to work and the customers can not hear her due to the packet loss.