Forum Discussion

nutellabb
New Contributor II
4 years ago

block specific website addresses

I have a Panoramic Arris tg1682 router/modem rented from Cox, at Cox's strong recommendation.
I want to block access to specific websites as I have children who are now online.
When I log in to the router at 192.168.0.1 and access the router controls I cannot find where on the menu to block websites by addess.
Under "Parental Controls" it says to log into cox.wifi.com which then presents the same menu you get when using the Cox wifi app.
After spending the time to create profiles and add each device to those profiles, I then turned on "Parental Controls" for the children's profiles I wanted to restrict.
There were no more granular controls offered with respect to specific websites.
My child was no longer able to login to their favorite video game.
I want child to be able to play their favorite video game.
I don't want my child to access certain websites.
Every router I have used for 15 years has been able to block websites by name.

How do I block specific websites from my rented Panoramic Arris tg1682 router/modem?

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    rented from Cox, at Cox's strong recommendation

There's a maxim:  functionality is the enemy of security.  Meaning, the more the options, the less the security.  However, I've never heard complication being an enemy.  You're absolutely security-focused, but a poor design is inhibiting your efforts.

Don't ignore the values you've realized from the past 15 years.

nutellabb
      New Contributor II

Bruce,

Thank you for your reply. I am starting to think this is a revenue generating ploy and I should have stuck to my original choice of router. I was distracted with the myriad issues that come with a move into a new house under renovation. I foolishly trusted that Cox trained employees were giving me sound advice.

At this point, the fees I've paid for the "Cox recommended router" could have paid for a blacklist-functional router in full - one of which gathers dust in the garage.

Regards,

NutellaBB

Rlang85
    New Contributor

nutellabb I have decided to just dig out my own router and install OpenWRT on it, as the Panoramic router is severely lacking in management options. Even for a router running ISP firmware, the Panoramic is showing up to the ball without a suit or shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H53WZ20/ref=emc_b_5_t I have one of these in the garage, you can grab one now, and it should be an ok platform for at least the next 2-4 years. What a waste of money on the Panoramic rental.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      showing up to the ball without a suit or shoes

All hat, no cattle?

Rlang85
        New Contributor

I missed that saying, haven't been around any Texan's for a long time!

nutellabb
    New Contributor II

I see 7 views and no replies, let me re-phrase: where is the standard "blacklist" or security URL list in the user interface for the Panoramic Arris tg1682 router/modem?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

OP's question concerned your Panoramic router.  I noticed "Panoramic" is mentioned zero times in this article.  I reads like a promo for Google.  Let's have Microsoft, Apple, Google and Amazon track our kids.