Forum Discussion

DLR
New Contributor II
4 years ago
Solved

Why is my Cox panoramic wifi modem/router so noisy?

I just switched to the Cox panoramic Wifi gigablast modem/router and it works great but it makes a loud humming noise.  It's in a bedroom so this is a big problem.  I already exchanged it once and the new one is just as noisy, if not worse.  I may have to find another solution unless somebody knows of a way to quiet it down.  Help!

• Hi@DLRpuppy,

I can understand how annoying that a humming noise can be especially when you are trying to sleep. There is a fan that pulls air in underneath the gateway; can elevate the modem to improve airflow. If the humming is unbearable I recommend that you swap it out again.

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi@DLRpuppy,

I can understand how annoying that a humming noise can be especially when you are trying to sleep. There is a fan that pulls air in underneath the gateway; can elevate the modem to improve airflow. If the humming is unbearable I recommend that you swap it out again.

Ben S.
      donsims
      New Contributor

Same here. Located in living room and it’s an average 46db at 401hz. I can hear it over my refrigerator running in the kitchen! 
      I call it our Panoramic Noise Generator. 

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        Hi @Donsims

I can relate to your situation. You may need to get the modem swapped out. You can take it to your local Cox Solutions Store or you can email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address.

Ben S.
    Bee123
    New Contributor

Yes - having this problem too. It's muuuuch louder than my computer. Never experienced a noisy modem before. I have to ditch this thing. Sigal is good but can't sit next to that drone noise all day. Cox - please improve the product or allow rental of a different brand.