Forum Discussion

downtown
New Contributor
4 years ago

New cable Model Motorola

Just a general question 

If I get a new modem MB8600 by Motorola  and after the initial setup and Cox verified everything is good to go. And I still have no internet, Will I be able to plug in the 

old modem and use it without having to call Cox and tell them that my modem has changed back ?

I changed routers this weekend and after Cox told me I am good to go and that my problems lie with my new Router, I changed back to my old router and everything worked fine without me telling cox that I made the change back.

I am still waiting for the manufacturer to come back with answers as to why my new modem is not working, but thought it was funny that the old modem fired back up.

I also changed to the gigablast speed and was was convinced that the old router would not work with that service. 

Can you help with this questions 

DT 

5 Replies

downtown
    New Contributor

I did and nothing worked, that is why  I  decided to switch to the old modem thinking that I would have to call cox. But before I called the internet came up on the old modem making me think cox did not do everything on their end . I thought they would have needed the CM MAC address from the bottom of the router but they did not ask for it, and when I mentioned it to them they said they dont see why they would need it. 

• Hi Downtown. Because the modem has to be provisioned for it to work, you would need to contact us if you decide to use the old modem. If you have Gigablast, the old modem will only work it if is a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem. We don't send any signals to the router so you can change it out, however, you will need to reset the modem before connecting the new router for it to work. If you need further help, please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include your complete address and name on the account. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    OpenBSD
    Contributor II

If the Motorola MB8600 did not work then it's more likely that it wasn't provisioned correctly. I'm only coming to this conclusion since your old modem still works and it shouldn't work at all when you get a new modem provisioned. You can't revert to an older modem without Cox reprovisioning it again. I recommend that you call tech support and speak with them and not customer service. Try to get your Motorola provisioned correctly. This shouldn't be a problem.

Also it's not a manufacturer issue. Don't contact Motorola since it would seem it's a Cox releated issue. Unless yourr modem is bad of course.

What is your old modem by the way? Maybe Gigablast wasn't correctly setup by Cox for your connection. Alot of times they need to goto your residence to enable Gigablast.

downtown
      New Contributor

My old modem is the Arris Touchstone SB6182

I can say without a doubt after being told by people at cox that #1 they did not need the CM MAC address , which is incorrect , #2 You cannot run on the old modem without contacting Cox 1st, well that might be correct but even with Cox on the phone with me and them telling me something is wrong on my end we hooked up the old modem and it magically still works on the old modem. I ask the cox person what is the problem?  it is clearly on your end. They would not escalate the problem to the next level. I still am waiting for an answer from Motorola which they are going to tell me its Cox because of the CM MAC address that was never taken in the 1st 2 times I talked with Cox.  This would not be a problem but I cannot have internet down during the week as the wife and I are working from home. I get these from the model log history 

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;

Lost MDD Timeout
      SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
      Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode
      DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
      TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
      DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32;
      REG-RSP-MP Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided

I agree, I do not think its the modem and I would not have a problem with someone coming out to hook this thing up but I am not going to pay cox for their incompetence. But then again I may not have any choice in the matter ..     I will try and get ahold of them on Friday 

Thanks for the help I will try and follow up on this once we get it solved.

Downtown  

OpenBSD
        Contributor II

When you connect your new modem they should see the modem MAC address on their end. They should be able to work with the information they query using the cable modem remote-query command. Doesn't mean they automatically provision it until you contact them to do so like you already did. If the aren't able to obtain that information then there is something that needs to be changed on your end by a Cox technician. Don't count on a quaility "technician" to show up at your residence. Most likely will be someone with very little knowlege of what they are suppose to do. They can connect cables, install moca filters, and look at a meter to tell you everything is perfect or it's a problem on your end. So expect a service fee. Lets just hope you get lucky.