Read the forum guidelines
Recently my office is having everyone work for home a day or two out of the week to limit the number of people in the office because of COVID. I am having trouble accessing the database for the new ERP we are implementing. After adding my home IP address (it has not changed since they white listed it), I was told by their support to try the telnet command in command prompt to see if the port was blocked (It is not a part of the Cox blocked port list either). I am able to connect just fine when I am in the office (both with ethernet cable and on wifi), but when I go home it didn't work. So, after a little bit of research, I tried using port forwarding to gain access to the port, but it still has not worked. Does anyone have any ideas?
Things I've tried:
Thank you in advance!
What were the results of your telnet?
"Could not open connection to the host: Connect failed"
It connects just fine when I am in the office, but when I am home it doesn't connect.
I was able to get the address and then I used that instead of the name, but still no luck. I am going to try factory resetting the Pano modem I have and try to get Cox on the phone to figure out if they are for some reason blocking the port.
chigirl97 said:Cox on the phone to figure out if they are for some reason blocking the port.
I don't suggest calling Cox about a port. I doubt they will even know what your talking about. Try instead to email them at firstname.lastname@example.org with your account info and question. Include a link to this thread too.
If you enable telnet in an OS, does it apply to all NICs or do you need to specifically enable on a NIC?
I'm thinking this laptop has 3 connections: Work Cable, Home Cable and Home Wireless...there may be a 4th with Work Wireless. We know it works with Work Cable.
I mean, earlier last week when I was at home I double checked to make sure that it was on because I didn't know if I had to turn it on again but at home and it was still listed as turned on. Eariler last week, I also enabled it on my personal laptop to make sure that it wasn't just my work laptop having the problem and both had/have telnet enabled and can not connect. Yes, so far at least, it works for work wireless and cable.
WiderMouthOpen Okay, I will try emailing them.
This was purely a "stab in the dark." If telnet was not enabled in your OS, you'd get a command not found reply after pressing Enter.
I just wasn't sure if telnet needs to be enabled on specific NICs. I'm sure if it's enabled in the OS, all NICs would process it.
Keep us update with your email journey with Cox.
Okay my friends, the situation has been fixed! While emailing Cox, there were no new suggestions other than putting my work laptop in the DMZ of my network to see if it worked there as a temporary solution, but I didn't get far enough to try that. I had a hunch that maybe the 3rd party company put in my IP address wrong (It's the only thing that made sense since absolutely nothing else was working), so I asked my boss to have them double-check to make sure it was the correct one. Sure enough, they added the correct one, and when I went home last night I was able to connect with absolutely no issues. A little bit of an anticlimactic resolution, but hopefully others will benefit from the ideas and trouble shooting suggested in the thread by WiderMouthOpen and Bruce. Thank you guys!
HAHAHA After all that it was a typo. Oh well, atleast it's fixed now. Have a great day.
Good grief. I hope this isn't an indication of service to come from the 3rd-party host.
You have a good troubleshooting instinct: trust but verify.