Forum Discussion

Premier200User2
New Contributor
4 years ago

New Modem for Premier 200 User

Hello,

I've Premier 200 account.  Modem Arris SB6141, DOCSIS 3.0, 16x4 or 16x8 channels, 4 years old approximately.  Router Orbi RBR20, new in May.  2 level house.  I get 200 mbps, sometimes lower.  Lately really slow.  WFH through VPN, I get dropped periodically 2x/day.  Before using RBR20, I was on Netgear Nighthawk router and got dropped 10-12x/day.  So, big improvement.   Do I need a new modem?  If so, do I need DOCSIS 3.1 or stay with DOCSIS 3.0?  Thinking Arris or Motorola modem, if need to buy one. 

Also, what's Premier 200?  It doesn't fit the current Internet plans (Preferred 150, Ultimate... etc).

Thank you.

12 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Arris SB6141 has 8 upstream and 4 downstream channels.  I've never heard of a Premier 200 plan; however, if there is a 200 Mbps plan, this modem with its gigabit port is fine.

Premier200User2
      New Contributor

Thanks, I thought that's what happened.  Cox website isn't user friendly, it should readily explain this fact, not to mention ease of reviewing the cost for each plan (not just the first (special) offer.  It's not transparent at all. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

There are no "Premier" data plans unless Premier is a type of bundled service.  There are "Preferred" data plans.  I originally had the Preferred-100 plan but Cox replaced it with the Preferred-150 plan about 3 years ago.

forums.cox.com/.../offer-of-74-discount-not-respected-cox-internet-preferred-100

UPDATE:  My bad.  My plan is called Internet Premier-200.  I didn't know.  I suppose I now get 200 Mbps.  It doesn't matter because my router only has a Fast Ethernet port.  Although the Cox Speeds and Data Plans Information page was "updated" on 27 Aug 2020, it's out-of-date.

www.cox.com/.../speeds-and-data-plans.html