Forum Discussion

Natxer
New Contributor
4 years ago

Why can't I get IPv6 on my Arris SBG6700-AC modem/router?

I have an SBG6700-AC Arris modem/router and it is a router that is compatible with Cox. I have talked with customer support multiple times about getting IPv6 activated but I am met with the same answer, "Please speak to the router manufacturer about this issue." I have also been told that it was activated for me and I had to do a full reset on my router. Twice. I just need to know why this is happening. 

6 Replies

BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @Natxer,
    Because that is a 3rd party modem, we would have to refer you to the manufacturer to set that mode up on your device.

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Natxer
      New Contributor

bens1 I just spoke with Arris and they said that this modem is plug and play with IPv6 meaning: once Cox activates it, I should have it. I've been told at least 5 times now that it is activated but I still only show IPv4 on my router. What needs to happen to make sure I can get IPv6?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Do you want Cox to assign your modem a public IPv6 address, or do want your router to have and to assign private IPv6 addresses to your devices?

Natxer
      New Contributor

I would like to assign private IPv6 addresses to my devices. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

This wouldn't have anything to do with Cox.  Cox can't activate a feature or manage your router.

If Arris states IPv6 is automatic, you'll need to dig into the manual to figure it.

UPDATE:  I researched the User Manual and there's no mention of "IPv6"...let alone private IPv6.  Although the product description reads "Supports IPv4 and IPv6," it may be referring to an ISP assigning your modem a public IPv6 address.