Forum Discussion

reyerbrandt
New Contributor II
4 years ago

SOON TO BE 2021 ... AND THE COX WEB-MAIL "SPAM BOMBARDMENT" STILL CONTINUES

https://ibb.co/gFPnY57

The infestation that's getting through Cox mail servers has got so bad that it's outright inexcusable, and I dread every moment when it comes time to check my email. In many ways it seems like Cox is a magnet for attracting not just spam, but other exploits, such as spoofing, phishing and pharming. Stuff that cyber-criminals use to deliver malware, attract victims to malicious websites or to steal confidential and sensitive data.

In all honestly, I get more garbage than legitimate messages that it's become a frustrating chore sifting through the mess it creates. Not to mention the hours I've wasted in the daunting task of creating over a hundred, non-effective, "filter rules" to weed out some of the reoccurring pests. In fact my Inbox looks no different then my Spam folder, each containing a mixture of both spam and legitimate emails (just as the image shows above). "Marking" an email as spam is a joke too, and you’re a fool in trying to utilize that option because it does absolutely nothing. Perhaps it’s because protective measures are not being implemented by the server. But even if they were, I shouldn’t be receiving the same garbage every single day. And just to prove I'm not exaggerating, here a "small list" of the garbage accumulated in a typical work week:

SelectHomeWarranty, Gadget Junkies, Leaf Filter Discount, Sams Club reward, CVS Pharmacy Survey, AltaiBalance, Truth_Finder, Caringforaparent.com, VeteranInsuranceDiscounts, Support Center, Soft Erections, Home Solar Survey, PowerPro-PowerSaver, FreezAir Pro, UV PhoneSanitizer|SterilizerXf, Talcum-powder-lawsuit settlement.com, TalcumPowderLawsuit, Dream Home Ideas, Pest Control, Max-Performer, ProbioticEase|Special, Dear Beneficiary, eharmony Partner, Protect Your Home - ADT Premier Provider, awesomestuff2buy.com, Exclusive Tactical Flashlight, NationalConcealedAcademy, REPLY ME URGENTLY, Wheel of Fortune, FRONTLINE KN95 Facemask, Vivint.SmartHome, Gemini Trust, AAGMortgage, Premium Mattresses by Lull, BANK OF CHINA, SeniorsDiscountsClub Info, PowerPro-PowerSaver, Nutrisystem Discount, BestCarInsurance, Pure Radiance, TommyChong, BoyScoutsAbuseLawsuit.com, Anti-Virus Protection, EZBatteryReconditioning, seniorperks, Boundery eBulb, Nerve Renew Wes, RoundUp Lawsuit, Walk-in Safety Tub, GutterProtector.coPromo, SunPower Promo, Buy Mask Shield, Male Enhancement, InjurySurvey.com Info, Cannabis Gummies, DoGoodPoints, SNOWTeethWhitening, FreeFlashlight, Enlarged Prostate, PlatinumAutoWarranty, BathroomRenovationShop, USAMilitarySavings Info, RoofingSurvey, Oil Change Coupons, Diet Legends Keto Fuel, NationalConcealedAcademyTraining, Smart Living Tips, ZantacInjuryHelp.com, ShopThePersonalButcher Ad, Nutrition Tips, FundsForVictims, Crepe Erase.

Not only is it enough to make your head spin, but it's an issue that's shared with thousands of other Cox customers who are equally just as frustrated. In fact this abuse has been going on way too long and it's about time that the company finally takes immediate action to combat these security issues - rather than continuing to ignore them over the years by neglecting the basic techniques for securing their systems - and thus leaving us vulnerable.

Frankly, I strongly feel that we as consumers deserve more consideration than what we've been getting, as well as receiving the best protection against all outside threats. After all, if Gmail can protect their users from spam and other exploits for free, then why can't Cox at least try by doing the same?  With that said, I'm convinced that Cox is technologically behind the eight-ball and is seriously in need of updating or adding more security layers to get back up to speed. Please weigh in if you agree.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Judging by the many posts on this particular subject during the past several years, this has been an ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved. Since this is forum open for discussion, it would be greatly appreciated that you allow more ample time for comments and/or suggestions to be heard before making the final decision of marking this thread as locked. Thank you.

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    yak
    Contributor III

I was thinking the same thing when I opened my email this morning. The same 9 (or more) overnight spams.  Another 3 or 4 will arrive during the day. Two years ago, the spams would have appeared for 1-2 days before they got stopped.  I don't know the full story but I think that the email system was turned over to a 3rd party. 

reyerbrandt
    New Contributor II

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. The more attention this topic gets, the greater the chance that Cox will eventually have to address this issue. Just as long as posts, such as this, remain active.

In regards to Cox outsourcing, it's no surprise that Cox moved away from maintaining their email servers by having them outsourced through a third-party. It may also have to do with Cox changing their email policy back in August 2019: www.cox.com/.../cox-email-creation-policy.html

So now the Cox solution for their inept management of their email servers is to start eliminating the poor email service altogether. Whichever the case may be, it’s clear that whoever Cox handed the keys to, continues to absolutely do nothing in blocking spam and other potentially harmful emails. It's also plain to see that Cox has ceased in offering support to those experiencing problems with Cox Webmail. Evidence for such lack of support can be found within the 1,011 search results here on the forum using the keyword "SPAM". This is another example of what happens when a utility is granted an exclusive contract and left to do as they please.

Email is a basic service of any Internet Service Provider and it’s not rocket science. Personally, I pay Cox a lot of money for internet that includes email service. A service that I rely on for daily communication involving bill payments, doctor notices, bank accounts, insurance matters, subscriptions, appointments, contacts, and other critical daily functions. But that's hard to do when spam has taken over and is in complete control of your inbox. The FCC advises customers to forward unwanted or deceptive messages to their email provider. But what if your provider is unwilling or incapable of correcting this issue?

One would expect better service from a company with an estimated annual revenue of $32 billion, according to Forbes. However, it appears that Cox would rather waste time and money than admitting something is wrong instead.

ICKIER
      New Contributor II

I am not too pleased with COX right now myself but it's not their fault you got yourself on a bunch of subscription lists, possibly hacked, or your contacts accounts hacked and your email is out there for spammers to go to town with.

yak
      Contributor III

2 years ago someone posted a similar message on this forum.  The reply from the moderator was that Cox does not consider email to be a "basic service of any Internet Service Provider".  Email was considered as a perk that cost the customer zero.  The underlying concept was ..... since email was free, customers could afford to put up with some deficiencies.

reyerbrandt
        New Contributor II

I have been a Cox customer since the mid 90's when they first set foot the Valley, after buying out Speed Choice and Cable America. Back then, there was no such thing as free email or Google for that matter, and web services such as Yahoo were in development. So having a Cox email account wasn't necessarily considered a perk, but rather an essential component of the internet package. In fact I paid $10 a month extra so my daughter could have her own email addy. Fast forward some 30 years later, and I’m still paying Cox for the same type of service - although it costs much more - despite its deterioration. The fact that we have free web services like Yahoo, Microsoft and Google shouldn’t give reason to abandon Cox webmail and go elsewhere. Nor should it let them off the hook either. 

As far as having a bunch of subscriptions, I'm glad you mentioned that because it’s certainly not the case here. First off, I use my Cox account strictly for personal and business related activity, such as banking and lending, paying bills and utilities, medical and dental appointments, booking flights, insurance claims, legal concerns, communication between friends and family, etc.

Secondly, I use Gmail for most everything else, like shopping, pizza and food deliveries, social media, blogs and posts, etc. Stuff that may be more vulnerable of being hacked or otherwise compromised. Yet surprisingly, unlike Cox, I don’t get one iota of spam delivered to my Gmail inbox. Which brings me back to my first post, “if Gmail can protect their users from spam for free, then why can't Cox?”

JP_Sports
      Contributor

That would have been about the time (my estimate is October, 2019) that the floodgates for this god-awful spam opened up and have yet to close, despite numerous complaints about it (including several by myself).  You can’t block the address because they just change the address, plus you only have a limited number of addresses to block. The only relief I have found is using Outlook.  After creating a few rules, Outlook does a decent job of weeding out the spam.  However, only the Windows based version will do it (the iPhone app is useless), and once in a while, a “bug” gets into the system that requires you to re-enter your username and password for Cox.  When that happens, it essentially resets everything as far as filtering, renders existing filters useless, and the program “unlearns” what is spam.  So for a few days, the Spam flows through like raw sewage.  Does Cox plant these bugs to let this ** through?  It can be sooooo frustrating.  I’ve just about had it and have a Gmail account set up.  Might just be a matter of time (and the effort of notifying people tied to this address) that I’m switching.

• I get those same garbage ones, and the Wells Fargo one I have received twice, both times from what turned out to be from cox.com accounts.  These spam emails are bad enough, but when the source is a Cox account, it makes it even more suspicious and frustrating, and you figure more would be done about it since it’s internal.  I report it as abuse, but nothing seems to be done. 

yak
      Contributor III

Cox employees must also be receiving the same spam.  I wonder what they think about it.  I am still getting the same 9 spams every day; but for the last 2 days I am getting 5-10 new spams (half are adult content and half are "you have opened a ticket; please click here").