Forum Discussion

APEGamer
New Contributor
4 years ago

Change Modem IP Address

We just moved to Arizona and switched to Cox cable. Unfortunately, the IP address the modem uses seems to be blocked by Outlook. Both my wife and a co-worker uses Outlook.com and emails to them are returned with the error:

host hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com [ip address here]
SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined end of data:
550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [ip address here] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to mail.live.com/.../troubleshooting.aspx. [AM7EUR06FT030.eop-eur06.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Microsoft ways they can't see why this address would be a problem, and offered no other real support.

I'd like to change my modem's IP address with the hope that Outlook won't block the new address.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Changing your IP won't help because email servers don't operate on user records (you) but with DNS records.  For example, if you're using Cox.com to send email to Outlook.com, Cox.com uses DNS to lookup the IP address of Outlook.com.  Basically.

Is the "ip address here" the Cox-assigned public IP address of your modem?
    I'll assume Outlook.com is sending an error to just your account (on somewhere).
    What email service are you using?

It seems Outlook.com doesn't like the IP address of your email server...not you.  If your email provider changed something within their domain, the DNS "system" doesn't contain the update.  However, this "update" could be anything...such as a Primary DNS server being down while an active Secondary DNS is using an outdated record.  Cox should have at least contacted their email contractor.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Hmm?  Shot in the dark:  If you just moved, it could be a geographical issue.  From where did you move?

Long ago, I remember configuring my email program (Outlook), for an email server as an "east" host.  Cox has since stopped using east and west designations but I was still using "east" long after their change.  I only discovered the outdated name when Cox changed their port numbers.

If you're using a bookmark, check it for any geographical information or just recreate the bookmark.