Forum Discussion

Rudyk
New Contributor
4 years ago

Dual band modem issue

Moved to a new home 1 year 8 months ago.....have the 2.4ghx/5ghz modem router supplied by cox, on the second one. I have numerous laptops that have 802.11N wifi cards that worked great at old home 7 miles away. With the dual band router wifi access point we have now I am getting horrible performance out of the 2.4 ghz band. Under 40 Mps, when I have the 300 Mps plan. Is the modem capable of running acceptable speeds in the 2.4 band or am I going to have to replace a bunch of network wifi cards with 802.11ac cards?

If so then what it sht point of having the 2.4 gig band?

1 Reply

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Long explanation short:  Panoramic is a poor router.  Return it and buy your own modem and router, which I'll assume you did at your previous home.

A modem is just an endpoint on a connection.  Its only purpose is to physically connect your house to the Internet.  On 1 side of the modem, it connects your house to Cox.  On the other side of the modem, it provides 1 port (1 WAN port) to connect 1 device to Cox.  You could either connect 1 computer to the WAN port for sole Internet access or you could connect 1 router to share the access.  Therefore, there is not wireless feature (2.4 and 5 GHz) within a modem.

It can get confusing if the modem is a combo device:  modem and router.  It's the router portion, Panoramic, giving you problems.  Buy your own equipment.

As long as you buy a dual-band ac router (2.4 and 5 GHz), your N-cards will work.