Forum Discussion

NoSoRiko
New Contributor III
4 years ago

Coaxial cable wiring resources & Question

Hi all.  I'm currently staying in a home that has been in my family for a few generations.  I've been encountering issues with my internet connection recently that is leading me to believe that the wiring with the coaxial cable may require inspection and adjustment.  The upstream LED flashes during boot up, and the modem goes offline to reconnect after 30 minutes of connection.  A look at the status page of the model display this as the upstream variables:

Channel  Lock Status US Channel Type   Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
2 Locked ATDMA  4 5120 kSym/s 38.40 MHz 57.00 dBmV

Downstream appears fine but I can provide those if helpful.  The coaxial cable was installed through the crawl space of the home and as of right now I'm not clear on the layout of the wiring job.  I'm willing to believe the wiring was done in an effort to quickly have it done and over with.

I am not a Cox Complete Care customer and I'm not certain if the cost would be worth while to have someone come and re-work the line so I can maintain solid connect.  Would anyone be able to say if paying for the service would help the issue or would it be better to do-it-myself.  Also are their any solid resources available that may help me with the job of ensuring the line going to the modem is good?  

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You've got knowledge.  You've got this.  You know about splitting.

Splitting is just a method to distribute something:  water, electricity, gas, data.  For example, if you had 1 bathroom on the east side of your house and 1 on the west, you'd install 2 pipes at the primary feed to distribute water to each bathroom.  If you had 2 bathrooms on the east side, you could still install 1 east-side pipe at the primary and just split the water farther within the east side of your house.

It's the same with coaxial.  The cable company connected your house at only 1 point.  This 1 point is called your Primary Feed.  If your Dad wanted to split the signal for an east and west bedroom, he would have installed an eastward and westward cable segment.  Again, if there were 2 east-side bedrooms, he could have just split the eastward signal farther within the east side of your house.

However, these remote connections (bedrooms) aren't of concern right now.  Your only concern is at the Primary Feed.  If there is a wall plate at the Primary Feed, remove it and check for splitters (east and west).  Disconnect them.  You only want the 1 cable laying on the carpet in your Living Room, for example, to be connected to 1 connection of the cable company.  You want as much as that juicy signal as you can get without splitting.

NoSoRiko
      New Contributor III

Thanks man.  I think I have enough info to nail this down now!!

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Yup.  Download is fine but upload is limited.  widermouthopen's suspicion of a faulty or older splitter might be the answer.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    issues with my internet connection recently

I suppose the keyword is "recently."  Were you satisfied with your service up to "recently?"  I doubt it's your coaxial but if you could provide the type of your cable.  The type would be stenciled on cable, such as RG-59 or RG-6.

Is this image only a part of your UPLOAD specs?  You should have at least 4 channels.

What is the make and model of your modem?

NoSoRiko
      New Contributor III

Hi Bruce - the upload channel was the only one listed from the status screen this AM when I got it back online.  A google drive link of the PDF is below.  I should add when my parents lived in this house about 5-8 months ago, they rented Cox's modem, they never reported any issues, which is why im uncertain about the exact cause here lately. 

I've only had service under my name for less than a month, the past two weeks have been abysmal...

My modem is a retail purchased Arris Surfboard SB6190

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/14JWYEOpsUdzNJdv4_cpa88JlSCeodqAG/view?usp=sharing

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I can't open your link (old computer).  I'd think your parents' expectation for service would be different than yours.  So...is it safe to say you were satisfied for 2 weeks of your service?  I'm only asking if service was ever normal for you.

Only 1 channel, however, isn't normal for DOCSIS 3.0.  Other than your type of cable (RG-59 vs. RG-6), widermouthopen's suggestion to inspect for splitters is good.  How many, what condition, ratings, etc.