Forum Discussion

OhioUser
New Contributor
4 years ago

MoCA disables daily

MoCA has been working great but a few weeks ago it started automatically disabling in my Panoramic Wifi Gateway.  I am able to reenable it but it keeps disabling every day.  I did open a service ticket and the technician verified everything was set up correctly, including a filter on the outside line.  What can be done to stop the daily disabling?  

21 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Going to get rid of my cox panoramic modem.so I can turn MOCA on. Cox will just lose out...

MisterR
    New Contributor II

MOCA started being disabled regularly for me last Tuesday (around Dec 14th or 15th, 2020) - before then,  MOCA over COAX worked great.  It seems to be disabled now more than once per day.  I've been meaning to contact support because I use MOCA for my wired connections and spent money on additional equipment to get it working.  

A majority of the people complaining here are referencing the issue with MOCA on the Technicolor CGM4141 being regularly disabled since September.  My hypothesis about why mine lasted until December is that my model is different:  CGM4140COM v2.2.  

Jellygrape
      New Contributor II

My MOCA also began to be disabled at least twice daily since Dec. 14. I have my wifi LED lighting connected to a network switch that is connected to a MOCA adapter in another part of my home. So every day I come home, it’s pitch black in and outside instead of having my automated lighting working. I contacted Cox via online chat on Sunday about this  but the rep was clueless about the problem and finding a solution. 

Allan
        @Jellygrape, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of the concern to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
  • OhioUser,

Thanks for reaching out on the Cox Forums about the MoCA feature automatically disabling daily. If you are an internet-only subscriber, this is occurring by design. The MoCA feature in the Panoramic WiFi gateway is intended to be used with our IP based video solutions, such as boxes that do not require a cable outlet.

It looks like the tech advised this during your last visit. I apologize if the information wasn't presented clearly. Please let us know if you need anything else.

-Colleen
    Cox Forums Moderator
      BenMarshall
      New Contributor

I've had no issues using MoCA without it getting disabled for a good 8 months until about the beginning of September. Now, twice a day, the gateway's MoCA setting is disabled. The MoCA was the only way I could get nearly the full internet speed that I pay for, and now it seems like that convenience was stripped away from us. I didn't think something so necessary for a lot of people was actually a privilege. How incredibly customer unfriendly is that?! What is at least one good reason that any subscriber can't benefit from MoCA? Why did a change in policy HAVE to occur early September, a change that routinely disables the setting without warning? 

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        Hi BenMarshall,

The disabling of MoCA for Internet-Only customers was done to increase customer security. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
      OhioUser
      New Contributor

ColleenD, thank you for the quick reply.  Yes, the technician was very professional and explained this was by design but did not know why this decision was made.  MoCA is a great feature to provide a reliable connection in areas of the house where wifi coverage can be spotty.  It seems that internet-only subscribers are being punished by losing out on a feature that previously worked successfully, especially for those of us that are working from home now due to COVID.  Am I to understand that my only options are to either upgrade to a different plan or replace the Panoramic gateway?  

LisaH
        OhioUser, Yes, in order to keep the MoCA feature active, you are able to add a wireless streaming box to your account. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Burdzy
      New Contributor II

Hi Colleen,

i have had cox for over a year, both internet and cable boxes, and mine is also being disabled. I have been using moca adapters in my house since the wifi doesn't work well.  How can I stop it from being disabled? i did not get a notice of any kind that this was going to change.

Thanks!

• MoCA would require a PoE filter on the incoming line so the MoCA signal does not "escape" onto the outside line and cause interference with other cable subscribers on the same line. The only "security" issue with MoCA would be such a filter has not been installed. I find it hard to believe the Wifi Gateway doesn't have a PoE filter built-in to address this. The lack of PoE filter install is the only practical "MoCA" reason the feature is automatically being disabled.

Here is how you can side-step the MoCA feature of your modem with another MoCA adapter. MoCA adapters typically have two coax connections and ethernet; one for passthrough and the other for connecting other MoCA devices. You can always try something like this ...

incoming coax --> moca coax port | moca adapter | passthrough coax port --> cable modem --> router

... then plug moca adapter ethernet into one of the network client ethernet ports on the router.

Your cable modem will send/receive signals through the passthrough coax port. Internal network traffic will flow through the router. With the MoCA adapter connected to the router via ethernet, internal network traffic will flow through the MoCA adapter to other MoCA devices. At first it seems counter-intuitive and circular but signals are separate and don't interfere with each other.

Don't forget... you'll need to install a MoCA PoE filter on the coax line in from the outside. Otherwise, the cable company will track you down ;-)

paperpunch
      New Contributor

Did anyone get it work by using actiontec ecb6200s02 with Cox panoramic cgm4140com modem (and by turning off panoramic buildin moca adapter)? I tried ecb6250 which does not seem to work.

Superbigwaff
        Contributor

You'll need to provide some details on how you are setting up the MoCA network. The ECB6250 only has a single coax in port. It doesn't have a passthrough coax port. I'm guessing you are splitting the line and may be using a MoCA incompatible splitter. You need to use a bi-directional MoCA splitter which supports up to 2300MHz.

Review my post at the end of this thread..

CGM4141 and MoCA

Provide some details regarding your coax and home network setup and I'll try to guide/help you.