Forum Discussion

jdcomeaux
New Contributor
4 years ago

Cox connection with gigablast only up to 300 mbs?

Why is it when the Cox service technician comes out to check my signal with there device they reach speeds of 900 mbs and no matter what device I use such as a new laptop, PC or Iphone 11 max speeds never get higher than 300 mbs? I have had the techs replace all wiring and check connection coming off the modem.

6 Replies

jdcomeaux
    New Contributor

Also the cox technician could only get 300 mbs on her own cell phone while connecting to my wifi. seems very strange. She also could not explain what is causing any issues. When she spoke with her supervisor he mentioned that it was my equipment. So I had her ask him When you try a brand new laptop or the iphone 11 or even her phone an they all getting around 300 mbs what could cause all the same sppeds he had no answer.

BigLagBates
      New Contributor

Also that only shows you the connection to that one server. Cox doesn’t let you know that that connection then needs to be sent out to other servers to tech final server for whatever it is you are tying to do on the internet. The amount of jitter/ latency and routes it then takes is largely because of their poor infrastructure and old coax lines. Garbage the price of gold.

jdcomeaux
      New Contributor

I have tried multiple speedtest mostly to fiber connection and still only get at max 300 mbs.

cr0sh
        New Contributor

How many channels on your cable modem up/down do you have - give us the make/model # of your cable modem, and we can find that out.

If you don't have the right number of channels, your speed will be limited to an upper amount. I had to upgrade my modem that way, since the modem I was using (an older model I had for a while) didn't have the right number of channels. When I upgraded to one with the proper number - speed increased.

Note: I have been with Cox broadband since the "Cox@Home" days and the big grey foot warmer modems (2000-01 time frame) - and also on the internet since 1993 - and prior to that on BBS's even longer back to 1987...

• What are the results when testing with a wired connection?

GregP
    Cox Forums moderator